Latest M2 MAC Pro WiFi can not connect to cisco WiFI when Fast Transition is to Adaptive

Adding this again as I can not update my original Post as Apple as Locked it. Thaught people might like the solution.

Is anyone else having issues with the Latest M2 Mac Book Pros (with WiFi 6E) not connecting to Cisco AIROS Controller based Networks if Fast Transition (FT) is set to ADAPTIVE? Tested on the Latest 8.10.183.0 with 9130,3800,3700 Series AP. Also Tested on 8.5.182.2 with 3600 series APs. Other Mac and IOS devices work fine.

No other vendor can support Adaptive mode, it is proprietary to Cisco and Apple. The result is that all non-iOS devices (inc MacOS v12 ??? ) will connect and roam without FT. But iOS devices can “Adapt” (upscale) their ‘Authentication and Key Management’ suite (AKM) to connect with FT even though the SSID does not support it.

If the SSID FT option is set to ENABLED the M2 WiFi6e device can connect.

If the SSID FT option is set to DISABLED the M2 WiFi6e device can connect.

The devices ASSOCIATES and does 802.1x Auth but then cannot get an IP address and gets self assigned IP then disconnects. This is all happening on WiFi 5Ghz (no 6Ghz)

from the apple site

802.11r

Wi-Fi network roaming with 802.11k, 802.11r and 802.11v on iOS, iPadOS and macOS – Apple Support (AU)

When your device roams from one AP to another on the

same network, 802.11r uses a feature called Fast Basic Service Set

Transition (FT) to authenticate more quickly. FT works with both

pre-shared key (PSK) and 802.1X authentication methods.

iOS 10 and later, iPadOS and macOS 12 include support for adaptive

802.11r on Cisco wireless networks. Adaptive 802.11r offers FT without

the need to enable 802.11r on the configured Cisco wireless network. To

support adaptive 802.11r, the Cisco network must be using controller

code version 8.3 or later.

Are there know issues with M2 WiFi 6e Based machines ???

Posted on Jun 24, 2023 7:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2023 7:10 PM

This is a follow up from Latest M2 MAC Pro WiFi can not connect to… - Apple Community

As I can not add the solution as Apple has locked the post from updates.

Apple has fixed this bug in MAC OS 13.4 "Mac computers with the M2 chip no longer fail to join Cisco 802.1X networks when both adaptive 802.11r and CCKM authentication are enabled."

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2023 7:10 PM in response to Charlie Crackle

This is a follow up from Latest M2 MAC Pro WiFi can not connect to… - Apple Community

As I can not add the solution as Apple has locked the post from updates.

Apple has fixed this bug in MAC OS 13.4 "Mac computers with the M2 chip no longer fail to join Cisco 802.1X networks when both adaptive 802.11r and CCKM authentication are enabled."

Latest M2 MAC Pro WiFi can not connect to cisco WiFI when Fast Transition is to Adaptive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.