Frequent System Notifications and alerts

Since a few days I get frequent notifications (see image) which I can only switch off when I disable System Notifications but I wonder what kind of hack this is and how I can remove it.

When I click on the notifications, I am redirected to Yahoo in the Brave browser, but it also opens Safari asking to scan the mac mimicking McAfee but via the URL semaricom.com, a bad reputation website. I did not try any further steps.

MacBook Pro (M2 Max, 2023)

Posted on May 9, 2023 11:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2023 2:44 AM

Firstly the Screen Shot are from Safari 16.4 running Ventura 13.3.1(a) the latest Stable Version

Secondly, System Preference ceases to exist in Ventura as it has been rename System Setting

Thirdly - Some of the Fake Virus Alerts in above made so Website that has added itself to the Notification Aspect of Safari and refer back to original reply for details and locations

Fourthly - There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

Additionally, in macOS 11 Big Sur, macOS 12 Monterey and macOS 13 Ventura. 

The Operating System resides in a Sealed and Read Only Volume that can not be opened by the User nor by Third Party Applications.

The only Entity that can open and modify or alter this Volume is Apple.

That would occur when a update or UpGrade is performed.

The Only thing this Antivirus software is protecting is the Bank Account of the Developers and for zero return to the User aside from the problems this software creates.

AntiVirus Developers purposefully Market their product to create a “ Fear Factor “. In so doing, creating a False Need for their Product.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

There is Adware & Malware which will affect the computer and is generally downloaded from “ Shady “ Websites or Developers who Inject this software into the download.

Should “ Certain & Specific Software “ referenced from above be installed - it will negatively impact macOS. It is suggested, download directly from the Developer , the application Malwarebytes for Mac

It is free or paid for added features. 

Run the Application and it should remove the malware / adware. Once done, restart computer and test.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2023 2:44 AM in response to Sijmons

Firstly the Screen Shot are from Safari 16.4 running Ventura 13.3.1(a) the latest Stable Version

Secondly, System Preference ceases to exist in Ventura as it has been rename System Setting

Thirdly - Some of the Fake Virus Alerts in above made so Website that has added itself to the Notification Aspect of Safari and refer back to original reply for details and locations

Fourthly - There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

Additionally, in macOS 11 Big Sur, macOS 12 Monterey and macOS 13 Ventura. 

The Operating System resides in a Sealed and Read Only Volume that can not be opened by the User nor by Third Party Applications.

The only Entity that can open and modify or alter this Volume is Apple.

That would occur when a update or UpGrade is performed.

The Only thing this Antivirus software is protecting is the Bank Account of the Developers and for zero return to the User aside from the problems this software creates.

AntiVirus Developers purposefully Market their product to create a “ Fear Factor “. In so doing, creating a False Need for their Product.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

There is Adware & Malware which will affect the computer and is generally downloaded from “ Shady “ Websites or Developers who Inject this software into the download.

Should “ Certain & Specific Software “ referenced from above be installed - it will negatively impact macOS. It is suggested, download directly from the Developer , the application Malwarebytes for Mac

It is free or paid for added features. 

Run the Application and it should remove the malware / adware. Once done, restart computer and test.

May 10, 2023 2:28 AM in response to PRP_53

Unfortunately, Ventura changed the whole SystemPrefs setup and your screenshots are from older version OS.

In System Settings >> Notifications, I switched off the Ask You... setting "Allow Notifications" which at least kills the banners from appearing,

while System Settings >> Notifications >> System Settings are still open to inform me of any system messages.

But still curious to know what piece of malware is triggering this behaviour.

May 10, 2023 2:38 AM in response to Sijmons

I did not keep track of the exact date when this started, but around that date I allowed my Google accounts to start using Passkey technology to enter my account from one of my connected hardware (laptop, iphone, ipad, macstudio). Could this have opened up Pandora's box? I cannot think of any other action that would involve some system level security setting and I am super careful as this is my workhorse machine.

May 10, 2023 2:52 AM in response to PRP_53

Great answer P Philips, many thanks.

I realize now that these were the Safari Pref settings you were showing, I had missed that completely.

Followed your instructions and it was clear. I do not use anti Virus software for the reasons you describe.

With 35+ years of mac experience, I never had a virus hit me.

May 10, 2023 3:05 AM in response to Sijmons

Welcome and sorry if I may have appeared as have been aggressive 😔

There are Bad Actor Website that have captured the idea to to exploit some code and point the User ( like you and me ) to purchase some useless software ( AV Software )

Commerce maybe the Root Cause of may issues including general web browsing.

Like yourself, never used AV on OS X or macOS in the 20 some years with Apple

🇨🇦

Frequent System Notifications and alerts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.