Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

phoney notifications

I have a 2019 MacBook Pro running Ventura 13.2.1 (22D68). I am getting false notifications using the system settings gearbox icon warning me of virus and other account problems. They pop-up then go away and I cannot seem to see where they originate from. No two seem the same message. This just started before the 13.2.1 update but is continuing after the update.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Feb 24, 2023 11:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2023 1:06 PM

They pop-up then go away and I cannot seem to see where they originate from.

Evidently you granted permission for one or more websites to harass you with Notifications. Unless you have a valid reason for agreeing to that annoyance, your automatic and reflexive response ought to be "just say no."

Refer to this excerpt from Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community — specifically, the last bullet point below:

Beware spontaneously appearing, unsolicited popups demanding immediate action. Think before you click.

Review Customize website notifications in Safari on Mac - Apple Support, and remove the websites for which you granted that permission.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2023 1:06 PM in response to TomWV

They pop-up then go away and I cannot seem to see where they originate from.

Evidently you granted permission for one or more websites to harass you with Notifications. Unless you have a valid reason for agreeing to that annoyance, your automatic and reflexive response ought to be "just say no."

Refer to this excerpt from Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community — specifically, the last bullet point below:

Beware spontaneously appearing, unsolicited popups demanding immediate action. Think before you click.

Review Customize website notifications in Safari on Mac - Apple Support, and remove the websites for which you granted that permission.

Feb 24, 2023 3:00 PM in response to TomWV

<< I am fairly certain the only ap running was probably email. >>

it is not as common, but some of the same stuff can be done to you by emails, especially if you leave

[√] load remote content in messages

This 'rats you out' to corporate message senders when you open such an email, and can send them your private information such as IP address, email address, and can also post banner alerts.

Feb 24, 2023 12:03 PM in response to TomWV

It is very difficult to casually infect a Mac without your active participation in providing your Admin password. Most of these bogus messages are generated by javascript in sleazy Ads from sleazy Ad services that pay web sites to carry the Ad service.

Some web site operators have no idea how bad they are, but if you notified them of your displeasure, some web site operators might take notice.

standard procedure is to, in this order (until you obtain relief):

close web page.

close browser.

Force-quit browser.

restart computer.

if you hold shift at startup, you will enter safe mode in may cases. No add-ons can load, but it may not be as productive as regular mode.

if you hold shift immediately after you login, no previously-running apps will open automatically.

if you hold shift as you open your browser, no previously-loaded web pages will load automatically.

Feb 24, 2023 2:40 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Safari was not running at the time. It acted exactly like a system message informing me of a OS or other update being available. It only lasts for a few seconds before it collapses to the right. I am fairly certain the only ap running was probably email. I just went thru my notifications and shut down a bunch of banners. I will see what happens...

phoney notifications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.