Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why am I getting notifications from 'The Big Issue" on my macbook?

I don't have the news app or any the big issue apps downloaded on my mac but have started getting notifications in my notification bar.

I have restarted and updated to the latest software incase this is malware, but it won't stop.

Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 8:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2022 12:30 PM

Notifications:
Safari.app
3 notifications

Confirm, none of those are unwanted Safari Notifications (Learn how to customize website notifications in Safari).

If you use other browsers, (Brave, Firefox etc) they may have their own Notifications.

Nothing else stands out as significant, but if you want to continue troubleshooting the next step I suggest would be to use Activity Monitor, and determine if any of those (often cryptically named) processes might be responsible.

Activity Monitor User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Quit an app or process in Activity Monitor on Mac - Apple Support

It is possible to use Activity Monitor to identify the process responsible for invoking a suspicious app, but it can be difficult.

Another suggestion is to use EasyFind in an attempt to find a file with a name resembling "The Big Issue":

EasyFind website: https://www.devontechnologies.com/apps/freeware

Both those techniques have limitations in that there is no guarantee the Notification is being caused by something with that in its name. Of course most developers do not attempt to obscure file or process names, but there are notable exceptions (Google being the most egregious offender).

Although it is not likely to be related to your concern, get rid of "CCleaner". It does nothing beneficial. Categorically speaking any Mac app with "clean" in its name is junk that can only cause trouble.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2022 12:30 PM in response to HayleyN888

Notifications:
Safari.app
3 notifications

Confirm, none of those are unwanted Safari Notifications (Learn how to customize website notifications in Safari).

If you use other browsers, (Brave, Firefox etc) they may have their own Notifications.

Nothing else stands out as significant, but if you want to continue troubleshooting the next step I suggest would be to use Activity Monitor, and determine if any of those (often cryptically named) processes might be responsible.

Activity Monitor User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Quit an app or process in Activity Monitor on Mac - Apple Support

It is possible to use Activity Monitor to identify the process responsible for invoking a suspicious app, but it can be difficult.

Another suggestion is to use EasyFind in an attempt to find a file with a name resembling "The Big Issue":

EasyFind website: https://www.devontechnologies.com/apps/freeware

Both those techniques have limitations in that there is no guarantee the Notification is being caused by something with that in its name. Of course most developers do not attempt to obscure file or process names, but there are notable exceptions (Google being the most egregious offender).

Although it is not likely to be related to your concern, get rid of "CCleaner". It does nothing beneficial. Categorically speaking any Mac app with "clean" in its name is junk that can only cause trouble.

Feb 1, 2022 9:04 AM in response to HayleyN888

Thank you for the screenshot. It is very helpful.

You probably already know it's easy enough to simply disable Notifications from that app by toggling the "Allow Notifications" switch, but I understand your concern about having an app on your Mac that you do not recall installing and are unable to find.

In this case I suggest going to (Apple menu) > System Preferences... > About This Mac, then click System Report.

In the left column, under Software, click Applications.

Along the top you will find a column headed "Application Name" that you can sort alphabetically. Those are all the applications installed on that Mac, many of which may not be easily found using the Finder. Scroll through that list and determine if you can find it.

If so, select it. The field below will reveal its Location, and the path where it exists. Example below, using the About This Mac app:

Let me know if you are successful finding it that way, or if you still can't find it.

Why am I getting notifications from 'The Big Issue" on my macbook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.