Podcasts randomly marked as Played

Recently updated to iOS sw 16.4.1(a), and recently I'm running into an issue of Podcasts I'm in the middle of listening to getting marked as Played and starting over if I switch to a new podcast. This is all for Podcasts that I DOWNLOAD, as I always listen to them once downloaded, never streaming. So the scenario is I get an hour into one podcast, but then swap to another to fall asleep to, I want to resume the previous podcast in the morning but it is now labeled as Played and back to the beginning, not where I left it at. I've gone through all my settings and don't see anyway to fix this, I've also never seen this issue in the past. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated, unless this is just a SW bug and have to wait for a fix.

Background App Refresh is OFF, Remove Played Downloads is OFF, Hide Played Episodes is OFF. Not sure of any other settings that could impact this.

iPhone 12

Posted on May 10, 2023 7:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2023 1:21 PM

I’m having this issue too probably since iOS 16 at least. Subsequent software updates have not fixed it. I have however noticed that it only affects 2 of my podcast both of which are Patreon paid podcasts added manually by the URL. Just wondering if this is the same for others?

It’s extremely frustrating as I often listen to certain podcasts in the car and then switch to lighter listening ones when going to sleep.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2023 1:21 PM in response to scotthall187

I’m having this issue too probably since iOS 16 at least. Subsequent software updates have not fixed it. I have however noticed that it only affects 2 of my podcast both of which are Patreon paid podcasts added manually by the URL. Just wondering if this is the same for others?

It’s extremely frustrating as I often listen to certain podcasts in the car and then switch to lighter listening ones when going to sleep.

Oct 4, 2023 3:55 PM in response to jonbell82

Same exact thing for me. The one that it keeps happening on is a manual entry from Patreon. Sometimes it seems to save my spot and then all of a sudden I’ll get in the car and it’s marked as played and have no clue what spot I had been listening at. It’s incredibly frustrating and I haven’t figured out a fix yet, sometimes I’ll screenshot my spot since it’s a longer show.

Nov 7, 2023 5:56 AM in response to scotthall187

I'm also experiencing episodes from a Patreon RSS feed getting marked as played. I turned off the feature that automatically plays the next episode. I don't use the play-to-sleep stuff. It happens to episodes that I haven't listened to at all, they effectively just disappear. I then have to mark them as not played and redownload. Every couple of days...

Jun 13, 2024 1:55 AM in response to scotthall187

I tried getting to the bottom of this with someone at Patreon support, but I couldn't even get them to understand what the issue was and gave up. I tried to get it escalated beyond the front line of support, but all I got was the typical "have you tried deleting and reinstalling your podcast app?" lines.

Patreon are clearly doing something wrong with how they serve podcast episodes. Other podcast apps are able to keep track of the played/unplayed state of Patreon episodes, but they struggle to work out how long an episode is (see screenshot from Pocket Casts below - the episode in the centre of the screenshot is a Patreon podcast and Pocket Casts cannot determine the episode length)

Jul 19, 2023 6:19 AM in response to Brathnok

I will say there is a work around I do that helps this out, well not 100% of the time but more often than not. When I switch to another, as I will listen to other pods while falling asleep, I ensure the timer is set to like 30mins and not "When podcast ends". If I have the timer for a set time instead of the new podcast finishing, that usually will have my other podcasts remain where I left them off.

Sadly this isn't a 100% fix, but does improve the random labeling for fully played.

Podcasts randomly marked as Played

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.