Issue adding second external monitor to Mac Pro (2019)

I have a mac-pro 2019 running 13.1. I'm having trouble trying to get 2 external monitors to work. When it is just one monitor and the mac they work seamlessly. But when i add the second it wants to add a second desktop with no windows available and mouse will not extend over

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 10, 2023 7:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2023 8:22 AM

samsung 27-in CF390 curved display

1920 by 1080 resolution

Interfaces :

analog VGA D-sub 15

Digital HDMI

<< You are saying that if I plug them both in using HDMI to USB-C/Thunderbolt it should work? >>

YES.

6 replies

May 11, 2023 4:32 AM in response to kerry290

<< a second desktop with no windows available >>

That is "extended desktop" setup. The second display is an extension of the area of the first. If you can not move the mouse to it, it may have been concatenated along an edge that does not correspond to the display arrangement on your bench.

The blue icons are Icons for each display, sized according to the resolution of each display, and they can be dragged to a position that better suits your needs, as long as they are touching.

The MenuBar icon determine which is the "primary" display, that will show the startup screens and MenuBar.

May 11, 2023 7:54 AM in response to kerry290

If you like that adapter, that is great.

But there is NO REQUIREMENT to use such an adapter. The 15-in MacBook Pro 2019 supports multiple displays right out of the box, and no adapters or added software are required.

2nd Display Support: Dual/Mirroring* 2nd Max. Resolution: 5120x2880 x2*

Details:* In addition to simultaneous support of the internal display, this model supports a maximum resolution up to 5120x2880 at 60 Hz at over a billion colors on up to two external displays or up to 4096x2304 resolution at 60 Hz at over a billion colors on up to four external displays via Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C).

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i7-2.6-six-core-15-mid-2019-touch-bar-specs.html

May 11, 2023 8:05 AM in response to kerry290

what make & model external display?

many have DisplayPort or mini DisplayPort inputs that can be used with a very simple USB-C to DisplayPort adapter/cable.

HDMI was invented for HD TV sets. it works great at its original resolution of 720i or 720p. At higher resolutions, it quickly develops issues that are complex to solve, and the cables and adapters required to solve are NOT intuitive.

Issue adding second external monitor to Mac Pro (2019)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.