Security Bug in 16.4.1(a) iPhone 8+

My phone now unlocking when I open up a text notification received on my home screen when the phone is locked. Neither passcode nor fingerprint needed. Anyone in possession of my phone could open it up if I receive a text. Anyone else having this problem?

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 16

Posted on May 10, 2023 8:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2023 7:51 PM

Lasg40 Said:

"Security Bug in 16.4.1(a) iPhone 8+: My phone now unlocking when I open up a text notification received on my home screen when the phone is locked. Neither passcode nor fingerprint needed. Anyone in possession of my phone could open it up if I receive a text. Anyone else having this problem?"

-------

Report this to Apple:

Do your Part: Provide Apple with feedback on this, letting them know about this issue.  Apple may not get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is occurring, and what bug fixes to include in updates to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: that this all began after installing an update. Include the URL of this thread.
  4. Proceed from there as necessary
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2023 7:51 PM in response to Lasg40

Lasg40 Said:

"Security Bug in 16.4.1(a) iPhone 8+: My phone now unlocking when I open up a text notification received on my home screen when the phone is locked. Neither passcode nor fingerprint needed. Anyone in possession of my phone could open it up if I receive a text. Anyone else having this problem?"

-------

Report this to Apple:

Do your Part: Provide Apple with feedback on this, letting them know about this issue.  Apple may not get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is occurring, and what bug fixes to include in updates to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: that this all began after installing an update. Include the URL of this thread.
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

May 10, 2023 9:02 AM in response to Lasg40

It can't be related to iOS 16.4.1 (a) update.

If the issues you have described are a direct result of the iOS 16.4.1(a) update, it is highly likely that a substantial number of users who have performed the software upgrade are encountering a similar problem.

Based on my understanding and experience, it is highly unlikely that iOS updates would introduce issues that affect the day-to-day functioning of the device. iOS updates are typically designed to enhance performance, address security concerns, and introduce new features, rather than causing operational difficulties.

Without a precise understanding of the underlying issue, it may be challenging for forum members to provide targeted solutions to the difficulties you are encountering.

May 10, 2023 7:42 PM in response to SravanKrA

Thanks for your reply. I can’t be more precise than to say my phone is unlocking when I click on a text on my homescreen that I received while the phone was locked. In the past my phone required me to use passcode or fingerprint to open see the text, now it goes directly to text and the phone is unlocked and everything on it is accessible. I do not know why this is happening. It’s an 8+ I bought new so I’ve had it for years. I don’t have a lot of free time to go into the Apple Store to resolve this so I asked the community. If you have any ideas please share.

Security Bug in 16.4.1(a) iPhone 8+

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.