Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Apple watch ultra wrist detection

Two Apple Watches ultras later and still couldn’t figure out wrist detection to work finally went into the Apple Store and figured out that it’s not reading because of my tattoos. I switched my watch to wear it on the inside of my wrist and that seems to be working thus far. However it’s very uncomfortable and just feels inverted. Seeing if there are any solutions to this, any updates what will help this? I’m sure apple has a huge customer base that are heavily tattooed. Would love to have a functioning watch and that is comfortably worn. Spent too much money in this product to not function properly. Or at least make it known prior to buying it is highlighted and noted that it won’t work with heavily tattooed areas on the wrist.

Apple Watch Ultra, watchOS 9

Posted on May 10, 2023 9:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2023 1:03 PM

Tattoos are a well known problem on this forum but you can suggest Apple include it more prominently in advertisements here... https://apple.com/feedback

I assume you set the watch so the crown faces the other way in

iPhone, Watch app, My Watch tab, General, Watch Orientation

Similar questions

14 replies

Jun 21, 2023 9:22 AM in response to Bashfulbeard

Tengo el mismo problema para muchas opciones del reloj, cuando hago bicicleta se pausa y es muy molesto estar buscando por donde colocar el reloj y que no se mueva para que funcione. Pero algo muy chistoso es que bajé la app STRAVA y sin ningún problema puedo hacer todo mi recorrido e incluso el sensor sigue funcionando sin problema alguno... entonces el problema pienso es en el software de Apple... te muestro una imagen... Así que para lo que mas quería mi reloj es para ejercicio y he buscado la solución. Pero definitivamente estoy pensando pasarme en mi próxima compra a GARMIN.

Mar 16, 2024 5:54 AM in response to Bashfulbeard

I got full black out arms, but need to say, on my ultra 2 with watchOS 10(.4) it mostly is working. Not always, but that’s depending on the spot on my wrist. When I wear it a bit more up the wrist what I normally would do, still on full black tattoo, and it is ok, frustrating sometimes that it is not working when on (for me) the wrong spot, for sure, something that besides Apple all smartwatch manufacturers need to find a good fix for, sure.

Apple watch ultra wrist detection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.