Antivirus, install or not?

I'm confused!

This is my first MacBook Air ever and I do not know if I need to install an antivirus or not?

Searched on the internet, some say yes and others say no!

What should I do please because I do not feel comfortable without protection?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on May 10, 2023 2:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2023 2:17 PM

StudentM wrote:

I'm confused!
This is my first MacBook Air ever and I do not know if I need to install an antivirus or not?

Do not install third party apps that claim to protect, clean, manage, boost performance, etc. Such apps use system resources while providing no benefit. And they may cause problems.

See this user tip for more info: Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2023 2:17 PM in response to StudentM

StudentM wrote:

I'm confused!

Do not install third party apps that claim to protect, clean, manage, boost performance, etc. Such apps use system resources while providing no benefit. And they may cause problems.

See this user tip for more info: Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

May 10, 2023 2:54 PM in response to StudentM

StudentM wrote:

I'm confused!

You already have anti-malware installed. mcOS includes that, and a remediation tool. And the macOS install itself is protected against modification. Etc.

That would be the internet, swathes of which want to sell you stuff thar you often don’t need, and some of what they’re selling (from 2020) is just hilarious.

FOMO is a powerful hook used by advertisers, yes. More than a little of the malware around are add-on “security” apps and tools that are intentionally installed by the user.

Is macOS immune to malware? No. But most of what’s around for malware are cracked apps, rubbish apps, and adware apps, all installed by the user, and the sorts of apps the user didn’t go looking for but saw advertising for. Some rubbish apps are heavily advertised, too.

Concerned about security? Got Time Machine going? If not, go get that going Right Now. That’s a key part of your security, and your data recovery.

Got two-factor authentication enabled on your Apple ID? If not, go get that set up, too. Losing control of your Apple ID is a Severely Bad Day.

Here is some more reading: Apple Platform Security - Apple Support

May 10, 2023 3:30 PM in response to StudentM

90% of Internet sites exist to sell you stuff you don't need.

100% of Internet sites advocating the use of "anti-virus" products exists to sell you those products.

No one benefits from telling you not to install that junk. This site's experienced helpers have no advocacy group, no lobbyist, no corporation, no remuneration, no motivation whatsoever — other than a desire to help others use their Apple products the way Apple designed them to be used, so that you may enjoy them. I think you'll agree you already paid Apple enough for that 😄

... I do not feel comfortable without protection?

First of all, your Mac already includes all the protection it needs. Second, "feeling good" is all those products will do for you:

• Most such utilities will only burden your Mac while they look for viruses that do not exist. They will degrade its performance and prevent it from working properly while conveying no benefit whatsoever—other than to make you "feel good" about security, when you should actually be exercising sound judgment, derived from accurate knowledge, based on verifiable facts.

What's worse is that they can instill a false sense of security, while at the same time increasing your threat profile and providing opportunities for exploits that would otherwise not exist.

Rule 1 of Macs is don't install junk. This site is littered with tales of misery from those who did.

May 10, 2023 2:27 PM in response to StudentM

Definitely not. There are no viruses that affect macOS. And they do nothing to stop you from installing Trojans (adware, key loggers, ransomware, etc.).

macOS already does as much as it can to protect you. What it can't protect against, and is true for any AV software, is the user from themselves. Get your software only from legitimate sources. Avoid anything on P2P, file sharing or pirate sites.

May 10, 2023 4:39 PM in response to John Galt

What's worse is that they can instill a false sense of security, while at the same time increasing your threat profile and providing opportunities for exploits that would otherwise not exist.

Excellent point. And we've seen that here fairly often. Users who have their Macs running, at times, multiple AV packages, and their Macs are still loaded with adware and other types of malware. I distinctly remember one user thinking they could download, install and run anything because they were "protected". Unfortunately for them, their AV software didn't do a thing to protect them from the ransomware they installed.

Antivirus, install or not?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.