Firefox/Chrome Location of bookmarks and supporting files using VENTURA

New Mac Mini w/Ventura 13.3.1

I give up. where do I find:

Firefox/Chrome Locations of bookmarks and supporting files now that I'm using VENTURA

I wish to restore from TM Backup high sierra B/U 10.13.6

Thank you for your help.

Mac mini, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 10, 2023 7:06 PM

17 replies

May 16, 2023 5:41 PM in response to dialabrain

the info provided is inaccurate. I do NOT have:

Firefox: ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles [there is NO firefox under application support!]

Chrome: ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome

on my ™ 10.13.6 B/U:

see screen shots from ™ b/u:

So I am REALLY confused about what you telling me what to copy over. the paths do NOT correlate to what you wrote. Pls clarify.

Thanks

May 11, 2023 2:35 AM in response to mjamison57

mjamison57 wrote:

New Mac Mini w/Ventura 13.3.1
I give up. where do I find:
Firefox/Chrome Locations of bookmarks and supporting files now that I'm using VENTURA
I wish to restore from TM Backup high sierra B/U 10.13.6
Thank you for your help.

New Mac Mini as is Originally came with Ventura Pre-Installed ?

New Mac Mini with the M1 / M2 Apple Silicon CPU ?

If above is accurate - this computer would never be able to Downgrade to macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra.

macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra was coded by Apple to run Only on Intel Based Computers and not Apple ARMS M1 / M2 computers

May 11, 2023 2:55 AM in response to dialabrain

dialabrain wrote:

P. Phillips wrote:

If above is accurate - this computer would never be able to Downgrade to macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra.
Although true, the user said nothing about restoring High Sierra. Only the location of the support files for Firefox & Chrome in Ventura. The support files could be copied over from a High Sierra TM backup.

Quote from OP 😎 below

" I wish to restore from TM Backup high sierra B/U 10.13.6 "

May 17, 2023 5:52 AM in response to dialabrain

Just to add, Firefox 113.0.1 stores its binary LZ4 compressed, date-stamped oldest to newest JSON bookmarks in the following location where '*' is variable text content:

~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/*.default/bookmarkbackups/bookmarks-2023-05-15_191_*==.jsonlz4

If one wanted to convert this bookmark to readable HTML, one could use the Firefox Bookmark Backup Reader/Decompressor website, drag and drop one of these Firefox *.jsonlz4 bookmarks onto it, and export to your downloads folder as a bookmarks_from_json.html file.

The lz4/unlz4/lz4cat tool in macOS does not work on these bookmark files:

man lz4

May 17, 2023 7:08 AM in response to mjamison57

mjamison57 wrote:

the info provided is inaccurate. I do NOT have:
Firefox: ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles [there is NO firefox under application support!]

That's where it is on all my Macs that use Firefox. macOS versions El Capitan all the way through the present.

Something is wrong with your installation, but I can't tell you what it might be.

If it does not exist on your Mac then there is no point in looking for it in a TM backup either.

Any chance your Mac fell victim to any number of non-Apple "cleaning" scams?

Firefox/Chrome Location of bookmarks and supporting files using VENTURA

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.