Native Apple .m4a files no longer play in any MAC apps after upgrading to Ventura

.m4a files were native to MAC in order to purchase, import and play music in iTunes. But since upgrading to Ventura, there is no mac app that will play .m4a files. Itunes opens, but does nothing. Quicktime now says it doesn't recognize the filetype though formerly it did. Even Sound Studio an app created to support Logic Pro won't play the files.

Is Apple no longer supporting a file type it created? Do I have to reload Big Sur, or even Catalina? I see I am not the only one with this problem, but no one seems to know why, and no one at Apple has addressed the solution.

iMac Pro (2017)

Posted on May 10, 2023 8:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2023 9:14 PM

.m4a does not specify a particular format. It's only a wrapper for many codecs.

I still play all of my .m4a music files on my Ventura Macs.

Try to play the with VLC. It can pretty much play any codec.

11 replies

May 13, 2023 1:40 PM in response to timkenneymarketing

timkenneymarketing wrote:

I am using the latest Ventura OS. What app opens when you click on an .m4a in your Finder? Mine opens iTunes but nothing happens. Which is the most common report on this Apple discontinued filetype.

You are repeating the original statement.

What's in the m4a file?

Can VLC open it?

Any add-on cleaners, add-on anti-malware, add-on VPNs, or other such apps are installed?

I have thousands of m4a files around, and they work just fine on Ventura.

And I'd expect to be opening m4a files using Music app on macOS Ventura and not iTunes app, as iTunes is long gone.

May 13, 2023 2:56 PM in response to timkenneymarketing

timkenneymarketing wrote:

Thank you for reminding me about VLC! It's like the old QuickTime 7 that just played everything!
What's ironic is that .m4a was a native file format created by Apple for it's non purchased iTunes library, and now discontinued.

You apparently didn't grasp what I stated. m4a is a wrapper. All it says is there is a candy bar inside. What makes the candy bar an Abbazaba is the codec used to encode the music.

Apple has dumped old codecs, but I don't think that includes what it used for AAC audio.

As many have posted, you have some weird problem that isn't likely what you think it is because we can all play our old m4a files in Music.

Native Apple .m4a files no longer play in any MAC apps after upgrading to Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.