Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

hp office jet pro error 83C0000B

HP office jet pro 9020 error message 83C0000B after upgrade to Ventura. Tried removing from apple printer list, intending to add back under airplay, but printer name doesn't come up in add printers. It seems it can no longer be found. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 13.0

Posted on May 11, 2023 8:53 PM

16 replies

May 15, 2023 10:46 PM in response to Kathleen Ford

"hp office jet pro error 83C0000B: HP office jet pro 9020 error message 83C0000B after upgrade to Ventura. Tried removing from apple printer list, intending to add back under airplay, but printer name doesn't come up in add printers. It seems it can no longer be found. Any help would be greatly appreciated."

-------

Report this to Apple:

Do your Part: Inform Apple of your feedback of this issue. Include how you’ve troubleshot this, and your results. Apple wont get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive from its users, the more likely they will know what needs to be fixed, and what their customers prefer in updates, and future macOS versions to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - macOS - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Select: "Peripheral/Device Support" for the "Feedback Area"
  4. Comment: on when this all began, and how you have troubleshot this this far. Include the URL of this thread.
  5. Proceed from there as necessary

May 12, 2023 12:01 AM in response to TheLittles

Unfortunately unless the printer can be found it seems it can't be reset. This is the HP response according to the hp forums:

Spoke to HP its a critical firmware update that is currently been investigated. It is worldwide. Best to contact HP and lodge an investigation so that they give you the appropriate support or compensation.

So a bit of a disaster. I'll buy something other than hp tomorrow.

This forum really works and I thank you all.

May 11, 2023 9:01 PM in response to Kathleen Ford

"hp office jet pro error 83C0000B: HP office jet pro 9020 error message 83C0000B after upgrade to Ventura. Tried removing from apple printer list, intending to add back under airplay, but printer name doesn't come up in add printers. It seems it can no longer be found. Any help would be greatly appreciated."

-------

Reset the Printing System:

I had the same issue with my HP Eco Tank Printers - Reseting the Printing System fixed it, as the drivers were installed in an instant.

What to do:

1. Go To: System Preferences
  2. Select: Printers & Scanners
  3. Right-Click: on this pinter
  4. Select: Reset printing system...
  5. Click: Reset button

May 11, 2023 11:30 PM in response to ACL21

ACL21 Said:

"I reset the printing system and all that happened is that the printer has disappeared from the Printers & Scanners setting. All the other reset options haven't worked. Any other suggestions? (And I'm grateful that you put this up!)"

-------

Troubleshooting HO OfficeJet Pro Error 83C0000B:

Keep an eye on the HP Forums. Googling their forums, there are 41 results, as of my reply, and it seems to be catching on. Google Search Query: HP officejet pro 9020 ventura 83C0000B site:hp.com

Screenshot:

May 11, 2023 9:23 PM in response to Kathleen Ford

Hopefully resetting the print system by following TheLittles post will solve your problem. I would try that first, but according to your post, the printer does not show up in the Printers & Scanners settings.

There is a lot of talk on the HP website about the 83C0000B error on the 9020 printer. Here are some examples to see if it relates to your problem. The last post does show a way to possibly reset the printer manually, but you may want to contact HP support first.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-Errors-or-Lights-Stuck-Print-Jobs/HP-9020e-error-code-83C0000B/td-p/8682735

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-Errors-or-Lights-Stuck-Print-Jobs/Blue-Screen-Display-and-error-code-83C0000B-HP-OfficeJet-Pro/td-p/8683928

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-Errors-or-Lights-Stuck-Print-Jobs/HP-9020e-error-code-83C0000B-when-firmware-update-failed/td-p/8663505

May 12, 2023 6:40 AM in response to Kathleen Ford

that appears to be a wireless-only printer.

To make Printer discovery easier, change your Wi-Fi settings:

under IPv6, set to "link-local only"

this allows the Mac to work in the background and determine what is connected. it uses 'Discovery' protocol to find services on your local network.

another step HO suggests is running HP smart.app, available for download here:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-officejet-pro-9020-all-in-one-printer-series/23918456

May 12, 2023 10:04 AM in response to Kathleen Ford

Kathleen Ford wrote:

I'll buy something other than hp tomorrow.

Definitely a good move if you cannot fix your existing printer. While I used to always recommend HP printers, I stopped doing so over ten years ago for multiple reasons. HP has a terrible reputation these days.

For a Laser printer, I would recommend a Brother printer since I've been happy with them as are co-workers and I see a lot of other contributors recommend Brother as well.

May 15, 2023 3:52 AM in response to sagandhi

agree!

I am based in Austria. My 9020e cannot be used anymore since May, 13. It is a firmware update error. Fortunately I acquired it at Amazon and they told me to send it back to the Amazon service.

However no reaction from HP's side until now. The only "response" after signing in and upload the SN of my printer was that HP stated that it is out of warranty which is not true (Amazon confirmed it...).

No solution from HP so far in its forum. So I will send the printer to Amazon...

May 15, 2023 7:49 AM in response to sagandhi

sagandhi wrote:

If anyone has an as yet unaffected 9020e I would disconnect it from the internet until HP sort the issue.

Usually it is possible to configure a printer using the printer's built-in LCD screen to prevent automatic firmware updates which is the better option as it allows network use of the printer. But yes, preventing an HP printer from updating its firmware automatically is absolutely necessary due to all the sneaky things HP has done in the past. I would only update the HP printer's firmware only after doing extensive online research to confirm a particular firmware revision has no negative side effects such as bricking the printer if third party ink is used.

May 15, 2023 7:52 AM in response to Timmyderhund

Timmyderhund wrote:

However no reaction from HP's side until now. The only "response" after signing in and upload the SN of my printer was that HP stated that it is out of warranty which is not true (Amazon confirmed it...).

HP's warranty starts when it is first sold to its first owner. If that first owner is a non-authorized reseller, then that non-authorized reseller will be considered by HP (or other OEMs) as the first owner and when the warranty clock begins counting down.

Amazon may provide their own warranties on purchases which is completely separate from an OEM warranty from HP.

May 15, 2023 10:34 AM in response to Kathleen Ford

I contacted HP by:

Phone (Message - We're very busy, please call again tomorrow);

WhatsApp (Live agent after 24h wait - "It is a general issue, we are working on it") and;

Twitter (tried to be helpful but no suggested remedies worked).

We tried:

Rebooting holding the power button while connecting power - locked blue screen again;

Updating the firmware from HP website on my laptop - no drivers found;

Tapping the lower left of the printer screen 4 times to access the support menu - ?? blue screen is locked;

Using the mobile HP Support App - no printer found on my network.

Phone the UK Consumer Support line

I managed to get through to the support line where I was given a fault reference number and told to wait until they contacted me.....

Update - I have had an email to tell me to call Support back in 2 days time.

hp office jet pro error 83C0000B

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.