Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Battery life on MacBook Pro after updating to Mojave from High Sierra

Hello,

I recently upgraded the OS on my mid-2012 MacBook Pro from High Sierra to Mojave.

I'm finding that battery life has declined substantially. What are the reasons for this and does anyone have any proposed fixes/solutions?

Thanks in advance,

Russ

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 12, 2023 2:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2023 8:00 AM

Several things show in the report:

1) First, I have the same Macbook Pro model running Mojave and I saw no reduction of battery runtime when I upgraded from High Sierra to Mojave a few years back. Yes, I am now see some runtime reduction, easily attributable to a battery that will be ten years old this summer. Expected effect.

2) Next, you have two "protection" packages that use resources—including the battery—, induce instability, and are not needed. Using the developers' instructions, completely remove all Intego and Trusteer/Rapport products. Trusteer has never worked properly on Macs. At first Trusteer only affected Safari; then it affected the entire OS. Their development people even participated here to understand and correct serious issues without success. Then they were bought by IBM and the troubleshooting efforts disappeared, but not the issues,

IF your bank told you to use Trusteer, then you need a new bank. If they think Trusteer is good protection, their IT people are clueless about Macs and I would not expect them to be able to help with Mac owners' banking problems.

3) This is a potential battery drainer:

Diagnostics Information (past 7-30 days):

2023-05-14 03:22:45 com.apple.WebKit.WebContent High CPU Use (3 times)

WebKit is the underlying technology in Safari, and high CPU usage can be due hungry Safari plug-ins or extensions.

4) Although not likely a battery drainer, Flip4Mac is a very old version and I do not know it even works on Mojave. If you need it, update it; if not, dump it.

Otherwise, the report shows me a very healthy 2012 Macbook Pro. Even the hard drive, although slow by today's standards, is running 10-15 percent above nominals, quite a feat for a decade-old drive.

Post back if I can clarify anything. I am traveling today and wonlt be able to repsond until this evening.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2023 8:00 AM in response to likely lad

Several things show in the report:

1) First, I have the same Macbook Pro model running Mojave and I saw no reduction of battery runtime when I upgraded from High Sierra to Mojave a few years back. Yes, I am now see some runtime reduction, easily attributable to a battery that will be ten years old this summer. Expected effect.

2) Next, you have two "protection" packages that use resources—including the battery—, induce instability, and are not needed. Using the developers' instructions, completely remove all Intego and Trusteer/Rapport products. Trusteer has never worked properly on Macs. At first Trusteer only affected Safari; then it affected the entire OS. Their development people even participated here to understand and correct serious issues without success. Then they were bought by IBM and the troubleshooting efforts disappeared, but not the issues,

IF your bank told you to use Trusteer, then you need a new bank. If they think Trusteer is good protection, their IT people are clueless about Macs and I would not expect them to be able to help with Mac owners' banking problems.

3) This is a potential battery drainer:

Diagnostics Information (past 7-30 days):

2023-05-14 03:22:45 com.apple.WebKit.WebContent High CPU Use (3 times)

WebKit is the underlying technology in Safari, and high CPU usage can be due hungry Safari plug-ins or extensions.

4) Although not likely a battery drainer, Flip4Mac is a very old version and I do not know it even works on Mojave. If you need it, update it; if not, dump it.

Otherwise, the report shows me a very healthy 2012 Macbook Pro. Even the hard drive, although slow by today's standards, is running 10-15 percent above nominals, quite a feat for a decade-old drive.

Post back if I can clarify anything. I am traveling today and wonlt be able to repsond until this evening.

May 18, 2023 9:48 AM in response to likely lad

You are most welcome, Russell.

Safari extensions, if any, show in Safari Preferences > Extensions tab:

The high CPU issue may go away when Trusteer and Intego are removed. However, Activity Monitor is always a good helper to spot anything that is being piggish.

Some web sites alone—no extension involved— can use far more resources than others offering the same services. Activity Monitor will pick that up and show the web pages that are open and how much of your resources they are using. Here is what my CPU usage show right now with several Apple Forum tabs and a couple of others open:

Open web pages show up in the list as urls so are easy to find.

Rather than inflict my meager typing skills upon you, I'll post the link to Apple's user guide for Activity Monitor:

View CPU activity in Activity Monitor on Mac - Apple Support

I'll be traveling after Saturday but will try to pop back in before I leave to see if you have further questions.

May 12, 2023 5:34 PM in response to likely lad

Please run EtreCheck and post the report here so we can review it as we may something in the report that may be causing the problem.

After posting the report you can also try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected. Please post the report before running the diagnostics, otherwise critical details may be missing from the report due to the reboot.

May 18, 2023 7:10 AM in response to Allan Jones

Hello Allan,

Thanks for your very complete and useful reply.

I have removed Trusteer, Intego and Flip4Mac. You are right, my bank in the UK, HSBC, recommended Trusteer Endpoint Protection. Intego Backup Assistant was there because I used to use a Lacie external hard disk for backups. I now use a Time Machine.

If I can refer to your point (3) about Safari. Where can I find a list of Safari plug-ins or extensions? And how can I tell which ones are power-hungry?

Thanks in advance.

Russell

Battery life on MacBook Pro after updating to Mojave from High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.