Allowing "sh" access on a MacBook Pro

What does it mean if I get a message that says: "'sh' wants access to control "System Events". Allowing control will provide access to documents and data in "System Events", and to perform actions within that app."

I got this message today when trying to uninstall an application by moving it to trash. I tried to look up what this meant and wasn't able to find anything and the notification went away before I had the chance to click "deny" or "allow". I saw some people saying it could allow viruses in and I am wondering if in the future I should be deleting applications a different way on my computer so I can avoid this issue? Wondering if I should be concerned by this and take my computer in.

MacBook Pro (M2 Pro, 2023)

Posted on May 12, 2023 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2023 1:11 PM

It is totally safe. It's built in with macOS as part of Terminal commands. You can grant it permission without worry. Or if you don't plan to ever use it, deny its access.

This is some more info on 'sh'

Intro to shell scripts in Terminal on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies

May 12, 2023 1:12 PM in response to belugam

Some apps will run a cleanup script when you move the app to the Trash. That is likely what happened.

Under Ventura, the Security model employs restrictions on apps affecting other apps.

sh is a shell (command line). System Events are the AppleScript Library that would be called to do things like move other parts of the app to the Trash.

Allowing "sh" access on a MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.