Auto-punctuation toggle missing

I am running Ventura 13.3.1 (a) on a brand new Macbook Air M1.

The dictation feature is driving me nuts by inserting commas all over the place. I have seen other posts about toggling of Auto-Punctuation on the Keyboard tab but like many others, I do not have that as an option.

What gives?

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Posted on May 12, 2023 6:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2023 3:50 PM

Jamie from Apple Support helped me fix this on my two 2019 MacBook Pros with the following workaround:

• In System Preferences > Keyboard > Dictation, add another Language. E.g., I had English (United States), so I added English (Canada).
  • Switch to another System Preferences pane. E.g., I chose System Preferences > Game Center.
  • Return to System Preferences > Keyboard > Dictation. You should now see the formerly missing Auto-punctuation toggle.
  • (Optional: If you'd like, remove the Language you just added.)

I hope this works for your M1 as well!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2023 3:50 PM in response to bubbabrady

Jamie from Apple Support helped me fix this on my two 2019 MacBook Pros with the following workaround:

• In System Preferences > Keyboard > Dictation, add another Language. E.g., I had English (United States), so I added English (Canada).
  • Switch to another System Preferences pane. E.g., I chose System Preferences > Game Center.
  • Return to System Preferences > Keyboard > Dictation. You should now see the formerly missing Auto-punctuation toggle.
  • (Optional: If you'd like, remove the Language you just added.)

I hope this works for your M1 as well!

Auto-punctuation toggle missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.