Songs play in iTunes library and say they sync to iPhone, but don't transfer to iPhone

hi, I have added around 40 new songs to my iTunes library recently and only about 10 have transferred to my iPhone. It's strange, I can play the songs fine on my iTunes player, I have them all in a playlist. The playlist name and around 10 of the songs transfer to the phone but not the majority 30 or so. I have tried many different things - different cords/ports on my PC (Windows 11, deleted and reinstalled iTunes), restarting my phone, deleting all downloaded music from phone and re-syncing, resetting the sync history in iTunes preferences, switching to and from wifi transfer, switching to and from manual music management on iPhone to syncing whole library (that's what I usually have), and probably a few other things I've forgotten.

I called apple twice and the first time, I had my call dropped and they didn't call back. They me about "sync library" which should be under the iPhone settings app - Music, but it wasn't there for me. I don't' have apple music. Then the second call wasn't very helpful, told me to "contact my 3rd party music source," which is impossible. Some of these songs were briefly on my phone for a while too but after syncing to add more new ones to the recently added list, they deleted themselves. On iTunes it has the appearance that songs are on my phone, but only the ones that are actually on my phone are playable from iTunes through my phone (if you go to "your phone - on my device - music") on iTunes, the ones that don't work have an exclamation point next to them, like when it's in the pc iTunes library and it can't find the source of a song - this isn't the case for me. I can play these songs on iTunes, but they don't transfer to my phone for some reason.

I'm not sure if this has a fix, it might need to be updated in the next versions of iOS and/or iTunes because it seems like others are having similar syncing issues. If anyone's had this happen and knows a fix, please let me know! Thanks

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on May 12, 2023 9:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2023 8:49 AM

If that hasn't helped try signing out of the iTunes Store on the device and then try syncing again.

Otherwise see this post on erratic syncing.

tt2

Similar questions

8 replies

May 13, 2023 4:11 PM in response to the fiend

thanks for replying. hovering over the ! doesn't have anything pop up when I try that. I do song info and it looks pretty normal as well. the !s only show up when I'm on iTunes, looking at what's on the iPhone when plugged into the PC. I know what you're talking about, I've seen !s when iTunes can't find the source of file when I'm looking at the main library and trying to play a song. That's not the issue because the songs are playing from the library. When I go to "on my device" when I'm on iTunes, I get the !s when trying to play a song that looks like it's on my phone, but it's not. I'll attach pics to hopefully demonstrate.

above is library, below is showing what should be on the phone. Should mention I have latest iOS and iTunes versions (and iPhone 14)

May 13, 2023 12:27 AM in response to brendano

brendano wrote:

the ones that don't work have an exclamation point next to them, like when it's in the pc iTunes library and it can't find the source of a song - this isn't the case for me. I can play these songs on iTunes, but they don't transfer to my phone for some reason.

Have you hovered over the exclamation mark to see what the error is, because as far as I know the exclamation mark next to a song does mean that iTunes cannot find the source of the file?

May 13, 2023 4:29 PM in response to brendano

I could add too that these songs used to sync fine to my phone, but when I changed them to a different folder on pc, they no longer worked to sync (they got the ! on the library for iTunes not being able to find them). Even though I re-linked the files to itunes and deleted the versions that had the !s, the versions that have the ability to play from iTunes library still won't transfer to my phone. The only thing left I haven't tried is resetting it and restoring from backup, but I'm worried it will just restore the same error in the backup, since it's backed up the incomplete playlist with songs on the phone that have !s

May 17, 2023 6:30 PM in response to turingtest2

As luck would have it, the issue came back up again when I updated to the latest iOS security update. I'm guesing that's originally caused the issue. Instead of restoring from backup this time, also since there were fewer songs that needed fixing, I figured out one fix is to change information about the song in library and re-sync. That causes it to be able to sync properly for some reason if the info is new. Maybe one fix for more songs in a library could be adding a comment to every song in the library that's having issues and re-sync and they should all go through since the file is so slightly different.

Songs play in iTunes library and say they sync to iPhone, but don't transfer to iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.