Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iPhone won't play some songs synced from Mac

This is driving me mad and seems to be getting worse! I searched the forums and found that lots of other people have had similar issues, but nobody seems to have found the answer, and all the suggestions offered (e.g. restart the phone, sync it again, make sure you've installed the latest updates) are useless, because of course I always do those things anyway.

I am a musician and I have a very large number of tracks in my Music app (formerly iTunes) on my Mac. I use smart playlists (and many tags) to manage them, but they are all physically on my laptop (and on backup disks), NOT in the cloud, and have been either ripped from CDs years ago or bought from iTunes as mp3s. (I do also pay for Apple Music, but I don't use it very much.)

I don't sync my entire music library to my iPhone - just a subsection of it (specific playlists that I need for performances or teaching etc). But in the past few months I have started to get the error in the screenshot below. The song still exists on my laptop, but on the iPhone it is greyed out and won't play, and subsequently it vanishes from the phone entirely, and syncing again doesn't replace it. So there is now an increasing number of songs which I own (physically) that I can't play on my phone, and it's reaching the point where there isn't much point using the phone in my work at all, because I have to have the laptop fired up anyway for those songs. (These are all songs that I've had for years, and played many times on the phone before, but otherwise there is no obvious connection between them.)

Anyone got any bright ideas, please?

(iPhone SE, iOS 16.6, MacBook Air, macOS Ventura 13.4.1... I know there's an update available today, I haven't had time to install it yet, but I will)

iPhone SE, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 1, 2023 3:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 1:35 PM

Hello Jocelyn Lavin,

If you're seeing a message that songs aren't available in your country or region, they may have been removed from Apple Music, even if you added them from your computer. We'd suggest finding them on your computer with the steps below, then updating your cloud library:

Search for the missing song on your computer
1. Search your Mac or PC for the missing song.
2. If you find the missing song, drag the song to the Apple Music app or iTunes.
3. In the Apple Music app or iTunes, choose File > Library > Update Cloud Library.

You'll find those steps here: If songs are missing from your music library after you turn on Sync Library - Apple Support

If you need further assistance, you'll want to reach out to Apple Support directly. They're best-equipped to take a closer look and provide some additional guidance. This link will help you get started: Apple Support

Take care.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2023 1:35 PM in response to Jocelyn Lavin

Hello Jocelyn Lavin,

If you're seeing a message that songs aren't available in your country or region, they may have been removed from Apple Music, even if you added them from your computer. We'd suggest finding them on your computer with the steps below, then updating your cloud library:

Search for the missing song on your computer
1. Search your Mac or PC for the missing song.
2. If you find the missing song, drag the song to the Apple Music app or iTunes.
3. In the Apple Music app or iTunes, choose File > Library > Update Cloud Library.

You'll find those steps here: If songs are missing from your music library after you turn on Sync Library - Apple Support

If you need further assistance, you'll want to reach out to Apple Support directly. They're best-equipped to take a closer look and provide some additional guidance. This link will help you get started: Apple Support

Take care.

Aug 8, 2023 10:17 AM in response to Sparks0829

Thank you - your advice, with a bit of tweaking, does seem to have solved the problem. The tweak was that "Update Cloud Library" wasn't visible as an option, but I soon realised that this was because I didn't have "Sync Library" turned on - that was deliberate, partly because I don't fully trust the cloud, but mainly because my music library is 107GB and I presumed the amount synced would have to stay within iCloud limits.

But I tried turning it on out of desperation, following your suggestion, and not only did it seem to let me sync the whole library (which took a while, so I left it running overnight), but the songs which had previously disappeared from my phone returned and will now play. (They never disappeared from iTunes on my Mac, so I didn't need to search for them, but I do have a double backup of my music library just in case they ever do!)

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.

Apr 26, 2024 9:53 AM in response to Jocelyn Lavin

Thanks to you both! After reviewing all the questionable advice from youtube helpers, your two simple fixes solved my problem. Also, another tweak. A stray songs remained "gray" on my iPhone, so I found it necessary to find that song on my Mac, right click on the " ... " at the far right of the listing, and then "add to Library." After that action, they would sync.

iPhone won't play some songs synced from Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.