Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple Music/iTunes repeatedly syncs the same 2,000+ songs to my iPhone SE.

I finally upgraded my 2017 iMac with Quad-Core i7 and 4K Retina Display from Mojave up to Ventura in the last week. I also have an iPhone SE (3rd Gen) with 120GBs of space running iOS 17.4.1.

The problem here is that whenever I sync to my iPhone, there are 2,000+ songs that repeatedly sync to the iPhone no matter what. This happens without changing anything to any of them. If I sync it, unplug the Phone from the lightning cable, and then, plug it back in to sync again, it all just happens exactly the same. This takes a good long number of minutes to sync all this stuff every time, and it's got to get fixed.

I have updated all ID3 tags to v2.4 throughout my library, I have removed all "Work and Movements" tags, I have selected "Organize Library" and I have checked the folder where all my library music is stored to verify the permissions are "Read & Write" for my profile, I've unchecked and re-checked songs, removing them and adding them back onto the iPhone, removed all the Equalizer settings from my library, I verified there were no duplicate tracks in there, I logged out and logged back into my account, I De-Authorized and Re-Authorized my computer, and none of this has changed anything. I've looked through numerous threads here and elsewhere trying to workshop a solution. Nothing. I even tweeted Apple Support, who never responded to me today. This is utterly ridiculous. There are no software updates available for the macOS or in the App Store for me.

Oddly, the track names that I could catch as they went by so quickly tell me that both iTunes purchased tracks and ones I've ripped from CDs (AAC MPEG-4 Audio @ 44kHz 256 or 320kbps CBR) are being affected, and It all seems to be newer tracks from maybe just the last five or so years. Nothing else is affected - no photos, no podcasts, no audiobooks. Just music.

So, does anyone have any other ideas? I have not done any restoring from back-ups or anything like that to the phone. I do not have an Apple Music or iTunes Match subscription.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 13.6

Posted on Apr 11, 2024 8:20 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Apr 15, 2024 9:59 AM in response to Nick_JM

My problem was solved by restoring to my Time Machine backup from Mojave, then organizing and consolidating my iTunes library, removing all “Work and Movement” tags from my library, and then, re-upgrading to Ventura. I also cleared up an issue with phantom audiobook files. I had a number of them that were manually imported that I later deleted from my Books library in Ventura, but were still showing in the sync library. They had to be deleted in Mojave before upgrading. There have been some stumbling blocks going back and forth, but they all seem to be shaking loose as I go back through everything.

Apple Music/iTunes repeatedly syncs the same 2,000+ songs to my iPhone SE.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.