Transferring data from one phone to another

I broke my phone and I now have bought a new one, I want to transfer the data from the old one to the new one but I haven’t backed it up with iCloud and the phone won’t turn on so I can’t use the quick transfer feature. What could I do instead?

iPhone XR, iOS 16

Posted on May 13, 2023 7:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2023 7:47 AM

There are only 3 ways to transfer data to new phone:

1. iCloud
  2. Quick Transfer
  3. iTunes

Since you can rule out iCloud and Quick Transfer, that only leaves the iTunes option. This is only available if you have plugged your phone into a computer and backed it up there. Since the phone will not turn on, I doubt iTunes would recognize it now, but if you have a computer I would try to plug it in and see what happens. It would depend on what is wrong with the old phone. If the display is broken and just shows a black screen, it may still be possible to backup to iTunes.

You are probably going to have to start fresh and loose your data. It comes down to how much the old data is worth as you would have to pay to have the old phone repaired to be able to transfer the data without a backup.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2023 7:47 AM in response to safiyacho

There are only 3 ways to transfer data to new phone:

1. iCloud
  2. Quick Transfer
  3. iTunes

Since you can rule out iCloud and Quick Transfer, that only leaves the iTunes option. This is only available if you have plugged your phone into a computer and backed it up there. Since the phone will not turn on, I doubt iTunes would recognize it now, but if you have a computer I would try to plug it in and see what happens. It would depend on what is wrong with the old phone. If the display is broken and just shows a black screen, it may still be possible to backup to iTunes.

You are probably going to have to start fresh and loose your data. It comes down to how much the old data is worth as you would have to pay to have the old phone repaired to be able to transfer the data without a backup.

Transferring data from one phone to another

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.