Stand goal not registering despite running ten miles

I cannot get my stand goal recognized despite the fact that I am clearly standing and moving. I have closed my movement ring and exercise rings after running ten plus miles but my stand ring has not changed (still at zero). I have paired and unpaired my watch, recalibrated my steps, checked for wrist detection and restarted my watch and phone but the stand goal is not detected. Very frustrating. I have an Apple Watch series 8 and have the latest software upgrades on both my watch and iPhone. I’m at a loss about what else to do!

Apple Watch Series 8

Posted on May 13, 2023 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2023 12:08 AM

I they are paired to the same iphone then it suggests iphone software problems.

unpair it, back up the iphone, reset it to factory, then set up manually without restoring the backup. Pair the Watch.

Test again

See here for the resources you need. Allow a couple of hours: 

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support 

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support 

Set up your iPhone or iPad – Apple Support

Only if it makes no difference...

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support 

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2023 12:08 AM in response to JTWhelan

I they are paired to the same iphone then it suggests iphone software problems.

unpair it, back up the iphone, reset it to factory, then set up manually without restoring the backup. Pair the Watch.

Test again

See here for the resources you need. Allow a couple of hours: 

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support 

Set up your iPhone or iPad – Apple Support

Only if it makes no difference...

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support 

May 13, 2023 12:17 PM in response to JTWhelan

In addition to Bob's excellent advice, Stand hours require you to sit for a while, then stand up. You often get the request to stand up. Typically at your desk or watching TV.

It has nothing to do with being on your feet in fact if you walked all day long without stopping you would get zero stand hours

May 13, 2023 6:25 PM in response to LD150

Trust me when I say I was standing. After ten miles there is a cool down period with static stretching etc. this is my 7th Apple Watch. I’ve gotten one every year they have come out. I’ve never had a problem with rings not closing. There is something mechanical that has nothing to do with my movement static or kinetic.

May 13, 2023 6:29 PM in response to BobHarris

I should also state that since I paired my version 8 AW, I now have the same thing going on with my version 7 watch. I’ve tried pairing and unpairing both and this has not improved. I tried bringing it to Apple to have them take a look at it. They stated that diagnostics checked out fine and software was up to date so it must be an error on my end. I am at a total loss.

Stand goal not registering despite running ten miles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.