You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change iPad printer paper to Letter now set to A4

How can I add a paper selection to the printer settings? I have only A4 as a paper size and want to add or change that to Letter (8x10). There is NO 'Custom...' selection in the dialog list.

I have an iPad 4 mini (6th gen) i/os v 16.4.1 (a)

Posted on May 13, 2023 10:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 14, 2023 6:51 AM

I am also connected to my printer via wi-fi network but that makes no difference with the selections of paper sizes I see in my drop-down box in iPad.

So, bottom line is, neither wi-fi nor Bluetooth connections have enabled paper size selections in my iPad.

But why is the iPad default set at A4?

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 14, 2023 6:51 AM in response to y_p_w

I am also connected to my printer via wi-fi network but that makes no difference with the selections of paper sizes I see in my drop-down box in iPad.

So, bottom line is, neither wi-fi nor Bluetooth connections have enabled paper size selections in my iPad.

May 15, 2023 1:03 PM in response to y_p_w

I solved this issue and would like to share it with this forum.

The issue was NOT with the iPad at all. It was with the PRINTER!!

I use an HP Envy 7800 All in one printer. It has a display that has a variety of information dialog boxes but does NOT have a selection for paper until one loads paper in the main tray.

Once the tray is slid back into the printer a dialog box appears on the screen showing 'Main Tray' and the size of the paper. But this "Main Tray" selection has a drop-down box were one can select the size of paper or envelops or other media. My printer has been operating on the A4 selection since I purchased it!

Most programs with a 'print' selection will allow one to adjust the paper size, sending that information to the printer so this other selection embedded in the printer was over-ridden by the program.

I never noticed this before whenever I loaded paper. Now I noticed it which led me to solving the issue. Now, when my iPad wirelessly connects with my printer, the paper option is in line with the printer settings.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

May 13, 2023 12:40 PM in response to oceanlady

Most of HP’s recent AirPrint printers are configured and managed using the HP Smart App, or via the printer’s control panel:

hhttps://apps.apple.com/app/hp-smart/id469284907

As for AirPrint, each AirPrint printer will “advertise” its presence - and the available print options that it supports. Each printer manufacturer and printer model may have different capabilities. What you can see as available print options are almost entirely controlled by the printer - and not by iOS/iPadOS.

Unless the printer has multiple paper trays, you may only see a single available page size - this either being set within the printer’s own settings (potentially set via an App - see above) or from the detected paper size.

If your iPad doesn’t detect an AirPrint printer, the iPad will show multiple paper sizes within the Print settings dialogue - from which you can select page size and formatting - as print output can be saved to Files or shared, (via the Share Sheet) with other Apps.

May 13, 2023 11:32 AM in response to oceanlady

I've got an iPad Mini 4 too, although it's a little bit wonky (was dropped hard once where the case bent) and I just keep it around for the heck of it. It can go batty at any time including loss of Wi-Fi connection, scrambled display, or restarting by itself. But when it works, it works normally. Until it doesn't.

I tried printing. Without an actual printer set up it had several options including A3, A4, letter, and legal. But once I selected my printer it said letter only. I believe that it's communicating with the printer and that's the setting I had for the printer. I changed the paper size setting for my printer (via the printer's front panel) to A4, and when I tried printing on the iPad my only option was A4. But this could be dependent on the particular printer and whatever drivers are available.

Addendum: I'm a bit confused about the particular model and OS, but I don't think it matters. I tried it out on my iPad Mini 4 with iPadOS 15.7.5, but I believe it works the same way on the iPad mini 6 (which I have but haven't tried yet).

May 13, 2023 11:57 AM in response to oceanlady

I found a user guide, but it's not very specific on how to change the paper size. It does say something about paper size being something that can be specified with the control panel.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05634824.pdf
NOTE: If you change the paper size, be sure to load the correct paper in the input tray and set the paper size on the printer control panel.

May 13, 2023 12:26 PM in response to y_p_w

I have tried to connect my iPad mini to my computer which it will do via Bluetooth. In my computer's control panel, I can 'see' the iPad and the iPad can 'see' the computer.

For a brief moment, in the 'Print' settings, the paper size gave me a long list of options and then... it all went away. IPad was still shown as connected.

Apple support has been NO HELP.

May 13, 2023 12:41 PM in response to oceanlady

I’m on my iPad mini 6 now where I have access to a friend’s HP OfficeJet. That must have a different setup as I can access about two dozen different paper sizes. However, the connection is via Wi-Fi networking and not Bluetooth. At home I’ve got a Canon MFC 230 series that’s wired Ethernet, but connected to the same network box with Wi-Fi. But that is specific where I see a single paper size at a time with no means to select a different size without changing it on the control panel.

May 14, 2023 7:28 AM in response to oceanlady

oceanlady wrote:

I'm thinking that there’s got to be some way. Some HP printers have an “embedded web server” interface, but it’s really tricky. You would need to find out the IP address that it’s been assigned by the networking equipment.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_2029438-1929621-16

How to change iPad printer paper to Letter now set to A4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.