Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How can I decrease the OS update duration to be below 10h?

With my Mac Studio M1 Max it is always like this.

• Apple suggests an update of the operation system.
  • Download works fine, it installs something then asks for a restart
  • The computer does not boot properly
    • Unlike windows it does not roll back with the intention to restore the system as it was
    • Booting always ends in the recovery frontend (or however it is called in English):
    • It says something like "The recovery system has been started as there was an error during installation"
    • In this state:
      • Restoring from the time machine (Option 1) does not work: It claims that the OS is not installed properly
      • Installing the OS (Option 2) does not work, as it will end with exacly the same error message: Just a waste of time
    • So the procedure is
      • I have to delete the container on the hdd
      • Then I have to freshly install Montery (with the image the Mac Studio comes with)
      • Then I have to freshly install Ventura on top
      • Then I have to restore my system from time machine with the help of the migration assistant (which take a long time)
      • The I have to fix various things, e.g. RME Soundcard Setup, Dropbox, ...
      • ... ie it takes more than 10 hours.

This happended to me twice

• First time was a minor update of Monterey, I lost some data due to an outdated timemachine backup
    • It was my fault to trust the minor update procedure without proper backup
  • Second time was just now: The Update from Monterey to Ventura 13.3.1 (a) (22E772610a)

Questions

• Any ideas what's so special about my system, that it always fails to update properly, see system spec below?
  • Am I the only one with this issue?
  • Into which files should try to take a look prior to wiping the internal ssd, to obtain information helping Apple to make updates executable on my system?

System-Spec

• Modellname: Mac Studio
  • Modell-Identifizierung: Mac13,1
  • Chip: Apple M1 Max
  • Gesamtanzahl der Kerne: 10 (8 Leistung und 2 Effizienz)
  • Speicher: 64 GB
  • Systemfirmwareversion: 8422.100.650
  • OS-Ladeprogrammversion: 8422.100.650
  • Soundcard: RME Fireface UCX with the setting displayed in [1]
  • 4 tray HDD USB enclosure
  • I use various symlinks from the enclosed SSD to HDD connected via USB, which is always restored nicely
  • I used to have hdd encryption switched on when the problem occured for the first time
  • I used to have hdd encryption switched off when the problem occured for the second time.

[1] RME Soundcard Settings require

Mac Studio, macOS 12.6

Posted on May 13, 2023 3:24 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Sep 16, 2023 12:03 PM in response to MrHoffman

I uninstalled LittleSnitch prior to loading and triggering the update of Ventura 13.3.1 to 13.5.2.

I.e.:

• I uninstalled it according to the manual
  • I restarted the machine
  • Then the ventura update was loaded and installed.
  • Sidenote: I have no other add-on anti-malware, add-on cleaners, add-on VPN clients installed.

It resulted in the same problems.

My weekend is gone.

Sep 25, 2023 12:34 PM in response to TonyMacBain112

I can identify the following shortcomings:

1. The migration assistant migrates some files which allegedly let the next update fail
  2. The updater is incapable of rolling back to the previous state
  3. The updater is incapable to show the error details
  4. The nature of the solution mentioned above is to start from zero, so all diagnostic information will be lost when in the state of emergency recovery.

Due to these shortcomings and my experience with apple, I have to say that I do not expect a solution anymore, as there is no feedback loop to the geniuses, adding context to what actually caused the problem.

What I did now was - instead of using the migration assistant - I installed a fresh system from scratch without any old scrap leftovers. In case the next update will pass without hassle, I can then assume that my assumptions were correct and I will then fetch a beer for my first ever successful apple silicone update.

Regards

Christian

How can I decrease the OS update duration to be below 10h?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.