when downloading photos, moved them to photos then deleted the download file and emptied trash, now I can't access original, help?

Hello, I switched from PC to MAC and have been using google photos for photo storage. I am trying to get them into my Mac photos but everytime I download the photos, I move them or import them to apple photos. Then I delete from the downloads folder (I like that to stay empty) and I empty my trash. Then I try to open the photo in Mac photos and it says original cannot be located. How do I properly download the photos to stay in Mac photos without this happening?

MacBook Pro 14″

Posted on May 14, 2023 4:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2023 5:58 AM

You may want to check the Photos > Preferences (or Settings) for Importing.

• Open Photos, if it is not running.
  • Go to the main menu bar, click Photos, then Preferences.
  • On the "General" tab of the preferences check the "Importing" options. The checkmark “Copy items to the Photos library” tickbox should be checked. If it should be disabled, click it.

If you import with “Copy items to the Photos library" disabled, Photos will not copy the items into your Photos Library and you must not delete them from the Downloads folder, because Photos will be referencing them in their original location. So the images need to stay exactly, wherePhotos found them on import. It is much easier to work with Photos, if you allow photos to copy the items into your Photos Library, where Photos can manage them. Then you can safely delete them from Downloads after you imported them. See: Change where your files are stored in Photos on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2023 5:58 AM in response to Wanderia

You may want to check the Photos > Preferences (or Settings) for Importing.

• Open Photos, if it is not running.
  • Go to the main menu bar, click Photos, then Preferences.
  • On the "General" tab of the preferences check the "Importing" options. The checkmark “Copy items to the Photos library” tickbox should be checked. If it should be disabled, click it.

If you import with “Copy items to the Photos library" disabled, Photos will not copy the items into your Photos Library and you must not delete them from the Downloads folder, because Photos will be referencing them in their original location. So the images need to stay exactly, wherePhotos found them on import. It is much easier to work with Photos, if you allow photos to copy the items into your Photos Library, where Photos can manage them. Then you can safely delete them from Downloads after you imported them. See: Change where your files are stored in Photos on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

when downloading photos, moved them to photos then deleted the download file and emptied trash, now I can't access original, help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.