Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Audio button in Safari Smart Search field is missing

I'm using Mac OS 13.2.1 and Safari 16.3

It seems like the web pages that are supposed to have sound, don't.

I think in previous versions I have seen an audio button in the Safari Smart Search field (what was wrong with calling it the URL field?). I used to be able to control the volume on a specific web page by using this audio button.

Now I can't seem to find that audio button anywhere, so don't know how to get my sound back.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on May 14, 2023 8:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2023 2:38 PM

Thanks for reaching out Claude Crider,

It sounds like you need some help with audio controls in Safari. We can help.

You can check out this article to review the current options to Mute audio in tabs in Safari on Mac and otherwise adjust the volume on your Safari tabs.

Hope that helps.

Take care.

3 replies

May 17, 2023 10:12 AM in response to Claude Crider

Claude Crider,

To isolate further, is this happening for all webpages or just specific ones? Let's also check in another user account. Being able to see if the issue occurs in another user account will to identify if it is something that is affecting your entire system or just one particular user account. To do this, you'll want to set up a Test User account and then try to replicate the issue in that account.

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups.

2. Click the lock icon, then enter an administrator name and password.

3. Click the add button (+) below the list of users.

4. Complete the fields shown for a Standard or Administrator account, then click Create Account (or OK).

5. Go back up to the Apple menu in the upper left of the computer and select "Log Out". At the login screen, choose the "Test User" just made.

6. Once inside the Test Account, try to replicate the issue to determine if it just occurs in one account or on the whole computer.

Thank you.

Audio button in Safari Smart Search field is missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.