Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Running Logic Pro X on new MacBook Pro - 16GB v 32 GB of memory

I'm about to purchase a new 14-in MacBook Pro. Will be running Logic Pro X a lot. Is the 16GB of unified memory that comes with it sufficient, or should I upgrade to 32GB, which costs several hundred dollars more? Please advise. Thanks.

Posted on May 14, 2023 9:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2023 9:29 PM

Jerrytov Said:

"Running Logic Pro X on new MacBook Pro - 16GB v 32 GB of memory: I'm about to purchase a new 14-in MacBook Pro. Will be running Logic Pro X a lot. Is the 16GB of unified memory that comes with it sufficient, or should I upgrade to 32GB, which costs several hundred dollars more? Please advise. Thanks."

-------

How Much RAM to Get:

RAM is all about multitasking. So, if you plan to run many items at once, then the more RAM, the better. I run a Virtual Machine, and the TV App, and Safari, and software in the background, all at once So, I have 32GB. Consider upgrading if extreme-mulitasking is something you would perform. Elsewise, I'd say your safe.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2023 9:29 PM in response to Jerrytov

Jerrytov Said:

"Running Logic Pro X on new MacBook Pro - 16GB v 32 GB of memory: I'm about to purchase a new 14-in MacBook Pro. Will be running Logic Pro X a lot. Is the 16GB of unified memory that comes with it sufficient, or should I upgrade to 32GB, which costs several hundred dollars more? Please advise. Thanks."

-------

How Much RAM to Get:

RAM is all about multitasking. So, if you plan to run many items at once, then the more RAM, the better. I run a Virtual Machine, and the TV App, and Safari, and software in the background, all at once So, I have 32GB. Consider upgrading if extreme-mulitasking is something you would perform. Elsewise, I'd say your safe.

May 14, 2023 9:55 PM in response to Jerrytov

Jerrytov Said:

"Running Logic Pro X on new MacBook Pro - 16GB v 32 GB of memory: Thanks for the prompt reply. I usually run Logic solo, although I can certainly see myself checking stuff out on a browser, too. The exception will be when I run Melodyne (intermediate version) and Logic simultaneously in order to fine-tune vocals. Online articles say 4GB RAM each is mandatory for Logic and Melodyne respectively, but 8GB is recommended. 2 X 8 = 16. But realistically, how often would I run up against that 16GB barrier?"

-------

For Reference...

See this Apple Recommended Post of Mine from back in the day: low memory pop up - Apple Community

May 14, 2023 9:52 PM in response to Jerrytov

Jerrytov Said:

"Running Logic Pro X on new MacBook Pro - 16GB v 32 GB of memory: Thanks for the prompt reply. I usually run Logic solo, although I can certainly see myself checking stuff out on a browser, too. The exception will be when I run Melodyne (intermediate version) and Logic simultaneously in order to fine-tune vocals. Online articles say 4GB RAM each is mandatory for Logic and Melodyne respectively, but 8GB is recommended. 2 X 8 = 16. But realistically, how often would I run up against that 16GB barrier?"

-------

You are welcome.

How Much RAM to Get:

16GB is the Best Here:

• Melodyne is abut audio
  • Logic is about programming
  • Web Browser is all about Audio(at times) and Video (for streaming)

All seem pretty high up there with multimedia standards --So, stick with the 16GB. If you were to run a Virtual Machine, then even more would be eaten up, and if you were to watch iTunes videos and music then even more would be swallowed up --all of which 32GB is more ideal for. But, you're not doing all of that; just the basic multimedia --so 16GB will do just fine here for the 3 multimedia apps you are performing.

May 14, 2023 9:41 PM in response to TheLittles

Thanks for the prompt reply. I usually run Logic solo, although I can certainly see myself checking stuff out on a browser, too. The exception will be when I run Melodyne (intermediate version) and Logic simultaneously in order to fine-tune vocals. Online articles say 4GB RAM each is mandatory for Logic and Melodyne respectively, but 8GB is recommended. 2 X 8 = 16. But realistically, how often would I run up against that 16GB barrier?

Running Logic Pro X on new MacBook Pro - 16GB v 32 GB of memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.