Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

text replacement in Ventura 13.3.1

Since "upgrading" to Ventura 13.3.1, the "text replacement" function has broken.

I use Japanese (Romaji input) and English, and already have numerous J to J shortcuts set up and functioning, but now, when trying to set up a new one, I get an error message like this.

I need Japanese in both cue and replacement, but never Chinese. (unless "Chinese character" is your term for 漢字.)

FYI

This had never (in >30 years) been a problem before. Hoping for a solution soon.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 15, 2023 4:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2023 5:29 AM

Simon Varnam wrote:

When setting up a text replacement in the Settings of my iMac, the fact that my Mac is set up to use only Japanese and English should be context enough.

Apparently not. In any case, Ventura 13.4 should be released in the next few days and may have a fix. If not, feel free to send Apple feedback.

Feedback - macOS - Apple

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2023 5:29 AM in response to Simon Varnam

Simon Varnam wrote:

When setting up a text replacement in the Settings of my iMac, the fact that my Mac is set up to use only Japanese and English should be context enough.

Apparently not. In any case, Ventura 13.4 should be released in the next few days and may have a fix. If not, feel free to send Apple feedback.

Feedback - macOS - Apple

May 15, 2023 5:22 AM in response to dialabrain

I hope you are joking. Of course it does!

==============================

In case you were serious, please read on:

It says at the top "CHINESE (TRADITIONAL) DETECTED".

That’s because Google Translate can't tell the difference between Japanese and Chinese without context. Did you think to tell Google Translate to look for Japanese?

FYI: Both languages happen to use the same characters; in Japanese 漢字 (read as: Kanji) the 漢 refers to the historical (Chinese) origin of the character, while the Chinese reading (Hanzi) is the one GT displays. For more, try this :https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_characters

May 15, 2023 5:36 AM in response to dialabrain

ご返信ありがとうございました。

Thanks. That’s what I call a helpful answer. Sorry I wasn't so appreciative of your earlier reply.

As a J to E translator working online mostly with Japanese people in Japan, this functionality is vital if you want to avoid typing out in full all the verbose polite greetings every time. Thank goodness I have already set up most of the ones I need.

SPV

text replacement in Ventura 13.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.