Apple ID security issue...

When signing in to Apple ID to acces this forum on my own laptop, I'm met with the warning that 'someone' ios trrying to use my Apple ID, depsite it being the smae device!

Once I hit 'Allow' I'm then given a 6 digit code to input... again on the same device I'm signing in on!

What's going on? Pretty pointless excercise if my laptop qwas in the wrong hands!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 15, 2023 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2023 9:16 AM

Hmm..., likely a foible of Two-factor authentication for Apple ID

I am less familiar with its use on computers but it should require a second device. I am wonder if something about the configuration of your device (do you have multiple user accounts using the same ID?) is confusing it.

Maybe worth sending Apple feedback. Click on this link for Apple products feedback links --> Product Feedback - Apple

Apple may not respond but your comment will be read.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2023 9:16 AM in response to chris7ian

Hmm..., likely a foible of Two-factor authentication for Apple ID

I am less familiar with its use on computers but it should require a second device. I am wonder if something about the configuration of your device (do you have multiple user accounts using the same ID?) is confusing it.

Maybe worth sending Apple feedback. Click on this link for Apple products feedback links --> Product Feedback - Apple

Apple may not respond but your comment will be read.

Apple ID security issue...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.