Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Update iOS from 10.3.4 to current version

Hello,

I inherited an iPad with ios at 10.3.4 how do I upgrade the software to a more current version?

Thanks in advance

iPad (4th generation)

Posted on May 15, 2023 11:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2023 11:40 AM

Hello,

There are different ways to ensure the highest iOS/iPadOS that your device will support is installed on your device.

This support article has instructions about updating an iPhone or iPad wirelessly --> Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

You can also use Mac and PC computers to update system software:

Update iPadOS - Apple Support

Use this support article to identify your iPad model --> Identify your iPad model - Apple Support and then the list below to find out what your iPad is capable of running. Alternatively --and somewhat easier-- is to simply try updating it and see if it will update. When updating, your device will update to the highest version currently available that it will support, or it will just say it is up to date (and can't go any higher) and won't install anything. Apple indicates ( Unable to update my iPhone 6 Plus from 12… - Apple Community ) I need to point out the obvious and state that if you want to run a higher system version than your current device will run, that you need to buy a newer device.

iPad4 will only update to iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi only) or iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & cellular)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2023 11:40 AM in response to Ridget11

Hello,

There are different ways to ensure the highest iOS/iPadOS that your device will support is installed on your device.

This support article has instructions about updating an iPhone or iPad wirelessly --> Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

You can also use Mac and PC computers to update system software:

Update iPadOS - Apple Support

Use this support article to identify your iPad model --> Identify your iPad model - Apple Support and then the list below to find out what your iPad is capable of running. Alternatively --and somewhat easier-- is to simply try updating it and see if it will update. When updating, your device will update to the highest version currently available that it will support, or it will just say it is up to date (and can't go any higher) and won't install anything. Apple indicates ( Unable to update my iPhone 6 Plus from 12… - Apple Community ) I need to point out the obvious and state that if you want to run a higher system version than your current device will run, that you need to buy a newer device.

iPad4 will only update to iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi only) or iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & cellular)

Update iOS from 10.3.4 to current version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.