Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

why will siri not honor avoid highways?

I have an iPhone 13 running iOS 16.4.1. I've recently noticed that when I ask Siri for directions and specify "avoid highways", she responds with "Getting directions to XXX avoiding highways." It calculates, shows the route in blue but navigates by highways...anyway. I've checked all of my settings and they appear as I want them. I don't use "avoid" very often so I'm not sure when this anomaly started but I've noticed it recently because I "smelled a rat" and now ask "...avoid highways" just to see what Siri will do. I'm right..It's BROKE(en)!

iPhone 13

Posted on May 15, 2023 11:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2023 12:07 PM

Your definition of “highways” may be different from Siri’s. And it isn’t Siri that does the routing; that is the Maps app. Do you have “avoid highways” enabled in the Maps app? And note that “avoid” won’t be honored if there is no reasonable way to get to the destination without using a highway. In the US, at least, “highway” specifically means a road that is part of the Eisenhower Interstate Highway System.

As an example, I once enabled “Avoid tolls”. I then plotted a route from Fort Lee, New Jersey to Manhattan, a trip that is less than 5 miles, but requires crossing the Hudson River. It created a 7 hour route that avoided tolls by sending me up the West side of the Hudson 140 miles to Troy NY, where there is a free bridge across the Hudson, then back down the East side of the Hudson. Later versions ignored the Avoid Tolls.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2023 12:07 PM in response to Win W

Your definition of “highways” may be different from Siri’s. And it isn’t Siri that does the routing; that is the Maps app. Do you have “avoid highways” enabled in the Maps app? And note that “avoid” won’t be honored if there is no reasonable way to get to the destination without using a highway. In the US, at least, “highway” specifically means a road that is part of the Eisenhower Interstate Highway System.

As an example, I once enabled “Avoid tolls”. I then plotted a route from Fort Lee, New Jersey to Manhattan, a trip that is less than 5 miles, but requires crossing the Hudson River. It created a 7 hour route that avoided tolls by sending me up the West side of the Hudson 140 miles to Troy NY, where there is a free bridge across the Hudson, then back down the East side of the Hudson. Later versions ignored the Avoid Tolls.

May 15, 2023 12:15 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I've used "avoid highways" for 3-4 years and it always avoids the Interstate highways. Granted...I don't know what Siri thinks a highway is, but I think you might agree that an Interstate is a highway. I say, "Take me home, avoid highways" and Siri would respond with. Getting directions to home, avoiding highways." and, until recently, that's exactly what Siri did...avoid Interstate highways. So, something has changed. Today, I asked to go home and got Interstate anyway. So, I stopped in a parking lot. "Siri, cancel navigation." Siri canceled. I then asked again, "Siri take me home avoiding highways." I got the exact same routing...with Interstate 285.

why will siri not honor avoid highways?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.