Anonymizing gift 🎁 and holiday 🎄 purchases with a shared Apple card

It would be nice to use this card when making purchases that I would like to anonymize the location, date, and/or amount of the purchase that shows on the shared card users devices. Kind of hard to holiday/gift shop at Apple or any other store when the other user can see the purchases.

What say you? Apple?

Posted on May 15, 2023 1:01 PM

9 replies

May 15, 2023 3:39 PM in response to Navychief

Well, not sure how a Participant can do that unless you’re sharing your Apple ID. I just checked this on my son’s iPhone and he see’s none of my transactions. I checked my wife (co-owner) and she sees everything I do and vice versa. Please see item 2 below.

>> What participants can do on a shared Apple Card

• They're not responsible for payments.
  • They can view their own transactions and information.
  • They can spend up to the credit limit on the account but might have an optional transaction limit set by an account owner or co-owner.
  • They can immediately use their shared Apple Card and get unlimited Daily Cash on all of their own transactions.
  • If they're 18 years or older, they can order their own titanium Apple Card.
  • If they're 18 years or older, they can opt in to build their credit and be reported as an authorized user on the account. <<

Set up Apple Card Family and add a co-owner and participants - Apple Support

May 15, 2023 2:04 PM in response to Navychief

Participants can’t see charges etc. They are not responsible for any aspect of Apple Card Mastercard. You can review the support article below and familiarize yourself with participants limitations.

Co-owners are exactly that. They have total responsibility for and are responsible for all aspects of the account. Federal regulations prohibit hiding transactions from an equal partner.

Set up Apple Card Family and add a co-owner and participants - Apple Support

May 15, 2023 3:31 PM in response to Navychief

Actually, my wife (participant) can see the charges I make. In fact, the charges are distinguished in the billing between myself and my wife. She sees all transactions I make and I hers. Has nothing to do with hiding transactions if there was simply an indication that a transaction was made, but without the amount and where. Appreciate the reply.

May 15, 2023 5:06 PM in response to Jeff Donald

Exactly, Jeff. I can see when, where and how much when my wife spends since it is immediately posted to my iPhone and vice versa. I applied for the card, eventually adding her by having a card sent in her name. One credit account.

all good. If there is ever the need for keeping a purchase a secret, cash is king. Unfortunately cash is becoming obsolete and that is an entirely different issue. Lord help us if that comes to pass.

May 15, 2023 5:34 PM in response to Navychief

If she’s seeing transactions she’s a co-owner, not a participant. Co-owners have an entirely different status and set of rights and responsibilities. It’s not solely your account. You are prohibited by law from restricting or reducing her rights as owner.

Likewise, she can’t restrict your rights either and that will never change. Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to make sure you understand the status of the joint account.

Have a great evening and I hope you wife enjoys her gift.

https://www.goldmansachs.com/terms-and-conditions/Apple-Card-Customer-Agreement.pdf

May 16, 2023 3:49 AM in response to Jeff Donald

I’m following. I guess as with any co-owner on a credit line, one can always review the statements when they post or simply go to a website and review charges. Was thinking it would be nice to have the choice to keep from pushing transaction events to a co-owner when making special purchases. I guess it is cash only when making holiday purchases for those with co-owner cards and a iPhone.

Thank you for the discussion, Jeff.

Anonymizing gift 🎁 and holiday 🎄 purchases with a shared Apple card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.