gansuprous mcafee alert

Howdy folks,

Recently a very strange little alert has popped up on my Mac mini screen a number of times. Most recently a few minutes ago. It goes away very quickly but I managed to click on it and it took me to this website. I did not click the "Scan" button.

Not sure if I have a virus or not. I run ClamXAV every day the computer is on and scanned again just now: no infections found. What gives?

Many thanks and best regards!

Mac mini, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 15, 2023 4:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2023 5:11 PM

migraywolf wrote:

I too am getting these alerts every few seconds! I DO NOT have McAfee installed on my computer. I went into Safari settings and McAfee is not listed on the site list. If I open one of the alerts there are no options. I click outside of the initial alert box and the next page shows. I click on the "help" button on the alert screen and nothing happens. It states that I am protected, but I do not have a McAfee subscription. As I stated, these alerts keep coming every few seconds! I do not know how to stop this.

see John Galt— Stop unwanted Notifications - Apple Community

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2023 5:11 PM in response to migraywolf

migraywolf wrote:

I too am getting these alerts every few seconds! I DO NOT have McAfee installed on my computer. I went into Safari settings and McAfee is not listed on the site list. If I open one of the alerts there are no options. I click outside of the initial alert box and the next page shows. I click on the "help" button on the alert screen and nothing happens. It states that I am protected, but I do not have a McAfee subscription. As I stated, these alerts keep coming every few seconds! I do not know how to stop this.

see John Galt— Stop unwanted Notifications - Apple Community

May 15, 2023 4:45 PM in response to tempisfugitive

tempisfugitive wrote:

Howdy folks,

Recently a very strange little alert has popped up on my Mac mini screen a number of times. Most recently a few minutes ago. It goes away very quickly but I managed to click on it and it took me to this website. I did not click the "Scan" button.

Not sure if I have a virus or not. I run ClamXAV every day the computer is on and scanned again just now: no infections found. What gives?

Many thanks and best regards!

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/6ceb159f-1590-4413-81b0-d56e2b153931

Third party AntiVirus is not recommended— it typically does nothing but add issues to the macOS and competes directly with Apple’s own built in security.

macOS - Security - Apple macOS - Security - Apple

Apple Platform Security - Apple Apple Platform Security - Apple Support

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/Anti-Virus/VPN

Protecting against malware in macOS

Protecting against malware in macOS - Apple Support

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony ...

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Jul 26, 2023 5:05 PM in response to tempisfugitive

May 15, 2023 4:50 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thank, fair enough. ClamXAV was recommended to me by a Mac IT fellow I've known for years. I've used it for several years now and to my knowledge hasn't caused any issues. Barney's idea seems like it will work. I removed all the websites that had asked permission to send notifications and unchecked the box so as not to allow any. Sneaky bastids!

May 15, 2023 5:10 PM in response to tempisfugitive

tempisfugitive wrote:

I run ClamXAV every day the computer is on and scanned again just now: no infections found. What gives?

You're just wasting your time.

I think Barney-15E's suggest is probably correct. That "very strange little alert" is probably a notification. At one point, Apple's web notification always displayed the icon of your web browser. But then, for some reason, Apple decided to "improve" that and display the icon for the web site. So of course, all the scam web sites changed their icons to look like Mac system security apps. 😄

gansuprous mcafee alert

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.