Getting a text about found stolen phone

I keep on getting a text saying my stolen phone was found. But it still shows are offline. I don’t want to click on the link as I am afraid it’s a scam.

edited to add - thank you for the replies. I did not click on the link

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on May 15, 2023 8:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2023 8:11 PM

It’s definitely a scam. The scammer wants you to click on the link which will lead you to a fake Apple website and prompt you to enter your Apple ID and Password. The scammer will then capture those credentials and remove the activation lock on your iPhone.

Axel F.

2 replies

May 15, 2023 8:14 PM in response to myiphonewasstolen

Did you mark the phone as lost and then leave a contact number? If not, then likely it is the thieves who have found the number and are now phishing for more information. There is a good chance it is a scam, particularly if there is a link to an "Apple" web site. Apart from supplying the Find My app, Apple does not get involved with lost or stolen devices.

Scams (e-mail, text messages, and phone calls) are getting very good at closely imitating true Apple communications. Always be cautious. These support articles have some guidelines:

About identifying legitimate emails from the App Store and iTunes Store --> Identify legitimate emails from the App Store or iTunes Store - Apple Support

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Avoid scams when you use Apple Cash --> Avoid scams when you use Apple Cash - Apple Support

Apple 'How to identify, avoid, and report phishing' video--> https://youtu.be/SR3Z3fXXjfw

This document has a list of things to do if your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen. --> If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen - Apple Support

Getting a text about found stolen phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.