Stolen IPhoneX

my iPhoneX has been stolen, and I put it on lost mode with the contact number. I received an sms few days later with caption “iPhone has been recovered” with the link to trace it. I signed on the link and immediately the phone was erased from “find my” app on my tablet. Now it seems the find my feature is off. Did the criminals send me phishing link posing as apple or what happened and is there a way to find my phone. I haven’t blocked the phone by the way. Thank you.

iPhone X

Posted on Jun 17, 2023 6:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2023 8:30 AM

That was phishing and is a common tactic to get the password to turn off activation lock.

You should change your Apple ID password if possible. See: Change your Apple ID password - Apple Support

If the thieves have changed it so that you cannot, then see: If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support

You will no longer be able to track your phone but the following article has suggestions on other things that you should do: If Find My iPhone or Find My iPad isn't enabled on your missing device - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2023 8:30 AM in response to kenosi97

That was phishing and is a common tactic to get the password to turn off activation lock.

You should change your Apple ID password if possible. See: Change your Apple ID password - Apple Support

If the thieves have changed it so that you cannot, then see: If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support

You will no longer be able to track your phone but the following article has suggestions on other things that you should do: If Find My iPhone or Find My iPad isn't enabled on your missing device - Apple Support

Stolen IPhoneX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.