Apple Music is associated with mp3 files but will not play it when double clicked in Finder

I have a text to speech mp3 file in Finder. The file associated with Apple Music by default. I double click the file and Apple Music opens and just sits there being unhelpful.

I right-click on the file and select QuickTime Player and it plays perfectly.

What should I do?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 16, 2023 7:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2023 11:53 PM

This is a file that I've downloaded and will only listen to once and then delete. So you are saying, if just want to listen to a sound file, I'll have to:

Double click the file to load Apple Music or just load Apple Music

Import the file into Apple Music

Click play on the file in Apple Music

Delete the file from Apple Music

I think I'd rather just select another program that will do what it is supposed to do.

Thanks for you efforts.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2023 11:53 PM in response to Soosie_J215

This is a file that I've downloaded and will only listen to once and then delete. So you are saying, if just want to listen to a sound file, I'll have to:

Double click the file to load Apple Music or just load Apple Music

Import the file into Apple Music

Click play on the file in Apple Music

Delete the file from Apple Music

I think I'd rather just select another program that will do what it is supposed to do.

Thanks for you efforts.

May 18, 2023 12:11 PM in response to RichRichIsRich

Hello RichRichIsRich,

We understand you'd like to play a specific file with Apple Music, but it doesn't seem to open properly there. Based on what you described, you may need to import that song to Apple Music even though you see it showing "associated" with Apple Music. Follow this guide here: Import music from a computer to Music on Mac - Apple Support

1. In the Music app on your Mac, choose File > Add To Library or File > Import.
* If you selected “Copy files to Music Media folder when adding to library” in Files settings, you see File > Import.
2. Locate a file or folder, then click Open.
* If you add a folder, all the files it contains are added to your library.

That should let you play that .mp3 file in the Apple Music app. Reply back with any questions.

Take care.

May 19, 2023 7:13 AM in response to RichRichIsRich

Good day to you RichRichIsRich, 

You have the ability to select which app you use to open a file. This can be useful if you prefer to use a certain app. Here’s how - Choose an app to open a file on Mac 

Open a file once with a specific app
On your Mac, do one of the following:
• Drag the file onto the app icon in the Finder or the Dock.
• Select the file in the Finder, choose File > Open With, then choose an app.
• Control-click the file, choose Open With, then choose an app.
• Open the app, then choose File > Open.

Permanently change the app used to open a file
1. On your Mac, click the Finder icon 058e4af8e726290f491044219d2eee73.png in the Dock to open a Finder window.
2. Select the file, then choose File > Get Info.
You can also Control-click the file, then choose Get Info.
3. In the Info window, click the arrow 68d68106d8fb3bfbc530262baeb4cba7.png next to “Open with.”
4. Click the pop-up menu, then choose the app.
To open all files of this type with this app, click Change All.

Thanks.

Apple Music is associated with mp3 files but will not play it when double clicked in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.