Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airdrop stuck on "waiting" iPhone 14 to MacBook Air

Iphone 14 (iOS 16.4.1) to MacBook Air (Monterey 12.5)

I have never had a problem with airdrop until today. Now it just gets stuck on waiting and eventually gives up. I have checked the following:

1. Bluetooth enabled on both devices
  2. Both devices connected to Wifi
  3. Personal Hotspot turned off
  4. Firewall turned off
  5. I have tried sending only one small (size reduced) photograph and it still gets stuck so it's not a size issue.
  6. iphone sitting right next to MacBook :)

Any other ideas - sending photographs by email is taking forever!

Thanks

Gillie

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on May 16, 2023 9:28 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

May 18, 2023 1:19 PM in response to gillie63

Hello gillie63,

So to be clear, your iPhone and Mac do see one another and can start to transmit the files but it never completes. Is that correct? Based on How to use AirDrop on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support and the version provided, we'd recommend updating your iPhone. iOS 16.5 has been released, so let's go ahead and update that and see if there's any change.

You can go ahead and back up your iPhone and then update following the steps at Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Let us know how things go!

May 19, 2023 7:06 AM in response to gillie63

Hello gillie63,

Since this behavior occurred with specific Wi-Fi networks, you may need to review the settings for those networks to make sure they align with the recommendations from this resource: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

You may also need to reach out to the network or internet service provider. They would be in the best position to further troubleshoot any conflicts related to their specific network.

Take care.

Feb 13, 2024 7:52 PM in response to gillie63

It's been like this for MONTHS. I'm a patient person, but this is beyond ridiculous. I've messed with every setting possible, and nothing works. And it's not like I tinkered with anything to cause this. One day it works, after an "update" it magically stops. Seriously, the entire point to people paying a premium for Apple products is for their supposed top notch R&D, quality control, and seamless integration. Yet something as basic as AirDrop doesn't work over and over, this is a fundamental problem. I hate to be that guy, but it seems like things never get fixed anymore unless Class Action's are filed. And this doesn't stop here.... My Apple TV is terrible also. $300 device and in the next room are 2 $40 Roku's on the same network... and the Rokus stream perfect every.single.day.... While the Apple TV is constantly buffering. This is bare basic stuff that Apple is failing at. Fix it!!!!

Feb 13, 2024 7:56 PM in response to chuckbl

Chuck, this isn't/shouldn't be a network issue. I have a top of the line wifi router. There is nothing in the settings that are prohibiting any handoff between Mac and iPhone. This is an Apple issue, and quite frankly, I'm tired of Apple constantly trying to pass blame on something else - an App, an internet provider, a modem, a wifi router... Seriously, it gets old. And at the very LEAST, when something continues to fail, TELL US WHY. Stop making people go down this never ending rabbit hole to fix something. Don't just leave it hanging as "waiting"...TIME OUT AND PROVIDE SOME TROUBLESHOOTING!

Airdrop stuck on "waiting" iPhone 14 to MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.