Apple Music PlayStation 5 no sound

I actually (finally!) solved this, so I’m posting this to help future people landing here via google.

Symptom: when I try to play music via the Apple Music app on PS5, the UI acts like the music is playing but no audio is heard, and PS5 audio goes silent until the app is exited—or, the sound is significantly quieter than other PS5 audio.

Solution: The PS5 has a dedicated volume slider for “Music” (as opposed to “Game”) audio, and the slider is probably turned all the way down.

Background: the PS5 OS has music player integration, and Apple Music is one such music app (Spotify is another). The PS5 lets you control game vs music audio volume independently.

How to access this volume slider:

1. press the PS button to bring up the switcher.
  2. Select the Sound icon and press X (don’t see it? you might’ve customized your icons. press Options and make sure Sound isn’t in the “hidden controls” list
  3. Under “Media Volume” select Music and press X
  4. use the d-pad to move the slider and press X again to lock in in
  5. press Circle to dismiss the menu and press the PS button to close the switcher menu.

That’s it!

PlayStation5,

Posted on May 16, 2023 9:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2023 3:14 AM

I have this same problem with Spotify on the PS5. The volume slider for music is all the way down and I have to turn it right up, however every time i turn the console off and on it defaults the music volume back to incredibly low (basically off). Is there any way to change this permanently so i don’t have to adjust every time i turn the console on?

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2023 3:14 AM in response to genericblues_

I have this same problem with Spotify on the PS5. The volume slider for music is all the way down and I have to turn it right up, however every time i turn the console off and on it defaults the music volume back to incredibly low (basically off). Is there any way to change this permanently so i don’t have to adjust every time i turn the console on?

Apple Music PlayStation 5 no sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.