Mac mini on iMac

I aIm trying to connect my newly purchased Mac mini M2 to-c my existing 2017 iMac. I am using a usb-c cord between the two. I have also tried to connect with ethernet cable The Mac mini will not connect. I don't see it on the iMac screen Any comments are welcome

Walt

iMac 21.5″ 4K

Posted on May 16, 2023 10:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2023 10:50 PM

You can find info about the supported resolutions for the Mac mini in this Technical Specifications document: Mac mini - Technical Specifications - Apple

Display Support: The Mac mini M2 simultaneously supports up to two displays:

• One display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz over Thunderbolt and one display with up to 5K resolution at 60Hz over Thunderbolt or 4K resolution at 60Hz over HDMI

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2023 10:50 PM in response to walter255

You can find info about the supported resolutions for the Mac mini in this Technical Specifications document: Mac mini - Technical Specifications - Apple

Display Support: The Mac mini M2 simultaneously supports up to two displays:

• One display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz over Thunderbolt and one display with up to 5K resolution at 60Hz over Thunderbolt or 4K resolution at 60Hz over HDMI

May 16, 2023 10:29 PM in response to walter255

If you are trying to use the iMac as a monitor for the Mac mini, unfortunately, that setup is not supported by Apple. The iMac cannot be used as a monitor for any of the newest Macs and Target Display mode is no longer a feature of macOS, having been deprecated several years ago.

Please see: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

Per the link above:

• Your target iMac (monitor) must be using macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 or earlier. 

• In all cases the source Mac that you're connecting FROM must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS 10.15 Catalina or earlier installed.

However, you might consider a third-party solution, for example: Luna Display or Duet Display, though I can’t speak for the performance of those.

Do yourself a favor, avoid the headache and just budget an extra $100 for a monitor. Yes, they are that inexpensive.

Mac mini on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.