Newsroom Update

Apple News+ introduces Quartiles, a new original spelling game, and Offline Mode for subscribers. Learn more >

“smtp.gmail.com”

I keep getting the above message and have tried various ways to fix but am not stumped. I can't send emails and I keep getting a question to enter my gmail.com password but that hasn't worked. I also updated my gmail password hoping that would help but it didn't

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 17, 2023 4:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2023 4:55 PM

Tayorvsvk Said:

"'smtp.gmail.com': I keep getting the above message and have tried various ways to fix but am not stumped. I can't send emails and I keep getting a question to enter my gmail.com password but that hasn't worked. I also updated my gmail password hoping that would help but it didn't"

-------

Troubleshooting gmail in Mail:

Use a New App Password:

Note that you would need a new App Password, being that Mail is a third-party app. You cannot log in using your eMail address password. As an example, go here for gmail: Sign in Using App Passwords - Gmail Help - Google Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2023 4:55 PM in response to Tayorvsvk

Tayorvsvk Said:

"'smtp.gmail.com': I keep getting the above message and have tried various ways to fix but am not stumped. I can't send emails and I keep getting a question to enter my gmail.com password but that hasn't worked. I also updated my gmail password hoping that would help but it didn't"

-------

Troubleshooting gmail in Mail:

Use a New App Password:

Note that you would need a new App Password, being that Mail is a third-party app. You cannot log in using your eMail address password. As an example, go here for gmail: Sign in Using App Passwords - Gmail Help - Google Support

“smtp.gmail.com”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.