Hp monitors not working with Mac mini

How do I get my go monitors to work with my Mac mini?

Posted on May 17, 2023 5:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2023 10:18 PM

According to the Internet, it has DisplayPort, HDMI and VGA ports.

The Mac mini should have an HDMI port.

DisplayPort should also work, but if you have issues, you need to suspect both the adapter and the cable.

In theory either of those 2 ports should work just fine.

14 replies

May 17, 2023 7:44 PM in response to rebeccafromencino

Sometimes it is the cable. For example moving from a 1080p HDMI cable to a 4K capable HDNI cable may make a monitor behave better.

Connector type may make a difference. VGA with adapter, vs DisplayPort w/ adapter, vs HDMI with or without adapter, vs USB-C connector, vs Thunderbolt connector.

And if it is USB-C capable monitor, then the USB-C cable matters, as not all USB-C cables carry a video signal.

May 18, 2023 6:05 AM in response to rebeccafromencino

The HP E243 monitors will work with the Mac mini.

Connect one HP monitor to the Mac mini's HDMI port using a HDMI cable.

Connect the other HP monitor to one of the Mac mini's Thunderbolt/USB-C ports using a USB-C to HDMI adapter or... a USB-C to DisplayPort cable.

for example's

a USB-C to HDMI adapter > Belkin USB-C to HDMI Adapter - Apple

or a USB-C to DisplayPort cable > https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Certified-Gold-Plated-Thunderbolt-Compatible/dp/B07RY75V7Q/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?

May 18, 2023 8:25 AM in response to rebeccafromencino

rebeccafromencino wrote:

I’m worried my monitors may be too old. They are HP E243 models.

Those have the resolution of HDTV: they’re 1080p displays.

That’s ~Y2K display tech.

They’ll work here, certainly.

More current resolutions common on Mac are 4K (3840 × 2160), 5K (5120 × 2880) and 6K (6016 by 3384) displays, with 8K (7680 × 4320) underway in the industry.

Above image from Wikipedia, showing that one 4K monitor is ~four of these E243 displays.

Sep 26, 2023 9:53 PM in response to rebeccafromencino

I read a few websites that stated the newer HP monitors don't work with the Mac Mini's because the monitors USB-C port not only provide all data/video transfer, but also supply power (for use with laptops).

my 27 inch HP M27F Full 1080p monitor worked fine with my M2 Mac Mini using an aftermarket USB-C to HDMI cable perfectly fine at 60Hz refresh rate

my 32 inch HP U32 4K UHD monitor works fine with my M2 Mac Mini using the HP supplied USB-C to USB-C cable at 60Hz. When I tried to use the aftermarket USB-C to HDMI cable, it worked but only at 30Hz refresh rate.

Nov 16, 2023 5:47 AM in response to DVEL777

Reset the macOS printing system, load the latest firmware in the printer, and re-configure the printer using AirPrint (and not the HP add-on drivers), and try again.

HP LaserJet Enterprise M607 series supports AirPrint.

Here is the user guide: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05298730.pdf

There are two bundles of firmware available (5.7, 4.12.0.1, not sure what the difference is) for this printer from earlier this year. Both contain AirPrint-related fixes.

As for the HP Z40c G3 display, there is also updated firmware for that, but seemingly no way to load that firmware on macOS. The latest is 1.0.11.0 Rev.A from November 24, 2022. Will have to use Windows to update that, if that firmware is not already loaded.

HP doesn’t support macOS with that display though, so getting anybody to look at that—past issues that show on Windows—might be problematic.

Hp monitors not working with Mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.