iCloud storage folder ->move a copy of my working folder onto iCloud and not be taking up room on my hard drive.

I would like to keep a backup of my college folder on iCloud, but not on my Mac Studio hard drive.

The folder contains Raw files & Photoshop, they are big files 15GB is a small file . My hard drive capacity is 500GB, so you can imagine if I keep the folder on my hard drive. I run out of space, also photoshop runs out of swap space.

I have a separate hard drive, that is used by Time Machine for my backups.

So I'm not bothered about all my documents, living on the iCloud .

I just need to be able to move a copy of my working folder onto iCloud and not be taking up room on my hard drive.

Thanks

Joe

Mac Studio, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 18, 2023 12:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2023 8:07 PM

Anything synced to iCloud is also on your system. If you optimize storage, your least accessed files may be offloaded to iCloud if space becomes necessary on your device. iCloud is primarily a synchronization service, not offline storage. If the sync feature is not desired, you may wish to investigate some other cloud storage solution.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2023 8:07 PM in response to eojuk

Anything synced to iCloud is also on your system. If you optimize storage, your least accessed files may be offloaded to iCloud if space becomes necessary on your device. iCloud is primarily a synchronization service, not offline storage. If the sync feature is not desired, you may wish to investigate some other cloud storage solution.

May 18, 2023 7:54 PM in response to eojuk

eojuk Said:

"iCloud storage folder ->move a copy of my working folder onto iCloud and not be taking up room on my hard drive.: [...]I just need to be able to move a copy of my working folder onto iCloud and not be taking up room on my hard drive."

-------

Upgrade to iCloud+:

Go Here: Upgrade to iCloud+ - Apple Support. Once upgraded, upload them to iCloud by enabling iCloud Drive in System Preferences. All will stay in iCloud Drive. There is no way to automatically download items as they are added to iCloud.

iCloud storage folder ->move a copy of my working folder onto iCloud and not be taking up room on my hard drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.