Fragile Macbook Air M2

Has anyone experienced cracked trackpads and chipped screens on a MacBook Air M2? My M2 is 6 months old and I have already had to replace my screen due to a chip, trackpad due to a crack, and keyboard due to an enter key that stopped working.

My M2 is in a hard shell case and I transport it in a padded backpack.

I would think that a computer designed for portability would be more robust in terms of it's durability.

I am a teacher and simply transport it from home to school and back. I use it on my desk.

This is ridiculous. Luckily I have AppleCare. They said in the future, they would have to charge me the $99.00 fee. This is ridiculous for a portable computer to be so fragile.

I can't imagine anyone using this in a rugged environment than at a desk.

My old MacBook Pro never had these issues in the 5 years I owned it. I like the MacBook Air M2 for it's speed and lightness in weight, but the sensitivity to damage is ridiculous.

Posted on May 18, 2023 5:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2023 6:49 PM

Very possibly. I'm all for taking good care of the MBA. But it clearly requires a kid-gloves treatment that no other Mac I've owned (there have been many) ever has. There are too many stories out there of careful folks encountering unexpected, seemingly spontaneous damage to their MBA M2s. Apple made a flimsy laptop and is holding customers responsible. I would certainly never buy one again.

Similar questions

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2023 6:49 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Very possibly. I'm all for taking good care of the MBA. But it clearly requires a kid-gloves treatment that no other Mac I've owned (there have been many) ever has. There are too many stories out there of careful folks encountering unexpected, seemingly spontaneous damage to their MBA M2s. Apple made a flimsy laptop and is holding customers responsible. I would certainly never buy one again.

May 18, 2023 7:10 AM in response to IdeaStudios.US

FWIW, I would not use a third hard case for a computer that dissipates heat through its body.

That said, I have not heard of anyone having the issues you describe. If the computer design or quality were contributing to your computer's issues, these user communities would be flooded with posts like yours.

I suspect, but it is only a guess, that your use of a third party hard case and the way you handle the computer are contributing to the problems described.

Apr 19, 2024 7:20 PM in response to IdeaStudios.US

My wife has a MacBook Air M2 and it basically is a living room couch computer. She rarely carries it anywhere. The screen bezel is cosmetically cracked just below the screen, it has an issue where the screen will just randomly go black while music or stream still plays (lots of reports of this issue around the web) and requires a hard reboot, and now, just today, the trackpad has gone completely bonkers. I have a Genius Bar appointment this weekend.

I have a ten year old MacBook Pro that is solid as a rock (dying battery tho'). I have espoused it's durability, longevity and the downright huge value of a computer that does its job for ten years without drama. The M2 Air just feels built to break, too thin, too light and too much jammed into too small of a space. I would not recommend this computer to anyone at this point.

May 18, 2023 7:11 AM in response to IdeaStudios.US

Apple devices are not indestructible and not being able to verify how yours has been treated means we as fellow users cannot make a definitive determination. They are not designed to be used under "rugged" conditions.

We have a pair of MBPs and I can tell you they require and deserve reasonably gentle care: no slamming, no dropping, no stressing, no liquids and the like.

Sep 14, 2023 11:46 AM in response to IdeaStudios.US

I experienced a spontaneous crack in the back of the screen despite handling my 6-month-old Macbook Air M2 very carefully. Although I have AppleCare, I was charged for screen replacement. I've been using Macs of various kinds (including a series of laptops) since the 1980s and have never had a problem like this. IMO the MB Air M2 is quite flimsy. Apple deleted my previous comment about this.

Sep 14, 2023 12:35 PM in response to catstein

Most likely, there was something you didn't see trapped between the screen and the keyboard. When the MBA is closed, there's practically zero space between the two. A small crack you didn't notice could have easily gotten bigger a while after the cause had been brushed away.

I always take a soft keyboard brush and brush off the keys before I close mine for the day. Mostly, that's because I tend to get crumbs everywhere and want to make sure the they don't end up in the keys but, it makes sure nothing is near the hinge, too.

Sep 19, 2023 1:47 AM in response to catstein

I had an issue where there was a small crack in the screen behind the glass within two months. The laptop 
is always stored in a protective bag and I am 100% sure that nothing has been bumped into it or anything 
has gotten in the way. However, I had an expensive repair of 829 euros. After this experience I have my 
doubts about the robustness of the MacAir M2 and I have it now 
in a protective case in a protective laptop bag...

Fragile Macbook Air M2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.