Unable to update past High Sierra on MacBook Pro

I have a perfectly good running laptop, and I can not update the OS from high sierra???? I don't want to buy a whole new computer. This one works just fine, except OS.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 18, 2023 5:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2023 8:02 AM

FYI:

The macOS version you can upgrade to depends on the year your Mac was released.

Click the  (Apple) menu at the top of your screen and choose About This Mac.

Check the Compatibility of your Mac with newer versions of macOS:

➡️ macOS 10.14 Mojave is compatible with the Macs listed here

➡️ macOS 10.15 Catalina is compatible with the Macs listed here

➡️ macOS 11 Big Sur is compatible with the Macs listed here

➡️ macOS 12 Monterey is compatible with the Macs listed here

➡️ macOS 13 Ventura is compatible with the Macs listed here

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2023 8:02 AM in response to Grnell

FYI:

The macOS version you can upgrade to depends on the year your Mac was released.

Click the  (Apple) menu at the top of your screen and choose About This Mac.

Check the Compatibility of your Mac with newer versions of macOS:

➡️ macOS 10.14 Mojave is compatible with the Macs listed here

➡️ macOS 10.15 Catalina is compatible with the Macs listed here

➡️ macOS 11 Big Sur is compatible with the Macs listed here

➡️ macOS 12 Monterey is compatible with the Macs listed here

➡️ macOS 13 Ventura is compatible with the Macs listed here

May 18, 2023 7:18 AM in response to Grnell

If the user whats the latest and greatest versions of macOS,  all is not lost.

Explore the Apple Trade-In  Process where the Value of the exiting device could be used against the cost of a new Apple Computer, iPhone or iPad 

Some devices  and deepening on its’ age may have little to no value. But at least the device will not arrive to the Land File Site and be disposed of in a responsible way by Apple

Or Shop Refurbished Apple computers at an Apple Reduced Cost

Have used both previously and have been satisfied each time.

May 18, 2023 2:12 PM in response to Grnell

I used My 2011 MacBook Pro yesterday, and my son used his today.

Your Mac can still do everything it could do when you took it out of the box running 10.6 Snow Leopard or 10.7 Lion. And likely a whole lot more because Apple has provide many updates in the intervening years.

if to no longer meets your needs, that is not something Apple has taken away from you. That is because your expectations have gotten bigger, and your computer may not be able to be expanded to meet those enlarged expectations.

¿what exactly do you need that your current model Mac can not provide?

May 9, 2024 2:26 PM in response to Grnell

Mine used to work perfectly till oneday it required update to High Sierra. From there till now it’s completely frozen and can’t recognize the hard driver using Disk Ultilize to self diagnosis. I don’t want to buy a new laptop just because The macbook Pro 2013 carries many good things and also better than new macbook which needs many adapters.

May 9, 2024 3:51 PM in response to JessicaTr

Installing a new version of MacOS re-writes at least 350,000 files.

If your drive had issues before you began, writing that many files could force it over the cliff into failure.

If you choose to replace the drive, updgrading to an SSD drive will give you a huge performance boost. changing the drive cable at the same time is highly recommended.

May 9, 2024 4:56 PM in response to JessicaTr

JessicaTr wrote:

Mine used to work perfectly till oneday it required update to High Sierra. From there till now it’s completely frozen and can’t recognize the hard driver using Disk Ultilize to self diagnosis. I don’t want to buy a new laptop just because The macbook Pro 2013 carries many good things and also better than new macbook which needs many adapters.

If that is an Early 2013 MacBook Pro, you can upgrade it as far as Catalina. If it is a Late 2013 MacBook Pro, you can upgrade it as far as Big Sur.

Both break 32-bit applications, and neither are among "the most recent three'" – which means you won't be able to run current applications from the likes of Microsoft and Adobe. However, I believe they are recent enough that with either, you could run current versions of Firefox, LibreOffice, and Affinity Photo V2 .

Unable to update past High Sierra on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.