I am trying to shut down my Mac and I am getting a message to "quit mail". However the "quit mail" link is "greyed out" and I am unable to quit mail or shut down my Mac or open Mail

I am trying to shut down my Mac and I am getting a message to "quit mail". However the "quit mail" link is "greyed out" and I am unable to quit mail or shut down my Mac or open Mail?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on May 18, 2023 8:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2023 9:49 AM

You can either force the Mac to shut down or force the Mail app to shut down.

How to force an app to quit on your Mac - Apple Support

Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support

Excerpted from the latter:

Important: You can force a shutdown if necessary—for example, if your Mac becomes unresponsive—by pressing and holding the power button until your Mac shuts down. You may lose unsaved changes in open documents.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2023 9:49 AM in response to Brucedsmith1

You can either force the Mac to shut down or force the Mail app to shut down.

How to force an app to quit on your Mac - Apple Support

Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support

Excerpted from the latter:

Important: You can force a shutdown if necessary—for example, if your Mac becomes unresponsive—by pressing and holding the power button until your Mac shuts down. You may lose unsaved changes in open documents.

I am trying to shut down my Mac and I am getting a message to "quit mail". However the "quit mail" link is "greyed out" and I am unable to quit mail or shut down my Mac or open Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.