Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Macbook Air (M1, 2020) Top Left USB-C Port Only Working in Safe Mode

Hi all,

The top left usb-c port will only work continuously while the computer is in safe mode. When I plug something into it during normal boot operations, charger cable/data transfer, it will appear very briefly and then disappear. I wanted to revive the machine, but due to the top port being effected I am unable to run it. I have tried reinstalling the OS and it still has the same issue. The lower USB-C works totally normal, not effected at all. Has anyone had any experience with this issue?

Thanks!

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Posted on May 18, 2023 12:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2023 8:39 PM

Hi,

It could be hardware related issue, try to run Apple Diagnostics if it reports USB-C port related error.

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

If it doesn't help, contact Apple Support or take your MacBook Air to your local retail AppleStore, Genius Bar or Apple Authorized Service Provider to be examined your MacBook Air there.

Official Apple Support

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Find Locations

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2023 8:39 PM in response to Tech_Bob_

Hi,

It could be hardware related issue, try to run Apple Diagnostics if it reports USB-C port related error.

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

If it doesn't help, contact Apple Support or take your MacBook Air to your local retail AppleStore, Genius Bar or Apple Authorized Service Provider to be examined your MacBook Air there.

Official Apple Support

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Find Locations

May 18, 2023 8:46 PM in response to Tech_Bob_

Tech_Bob_ Said:

"Macbook Air (M1, 2020) Top Left USB-C Port Only Working in Safe Mode"

-------

Troubleshooting the USB Port:

A. Single-Out this User:

What happens when you create a new Administrator user? Do you still get this error? If not, then it it like an issue with the configurations of the current user. If so, then it is an issue of the macOS, in which case, you'd need to reinstall it.

B. Some Links that may Help:

Macbook Air (M1, 2020) Top Left USB-C Port Only Working in Safe Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.