Removing photos from library

I want to remove a lot of work photos from my Library but keep them available. Can I just put them in another location?

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 18, 2023 2:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2023 2:57 PM

You can create multiple Photos libraries, or you could just store them on a couple different media to ensure they are backed up.

In either case, you would need to Export them from your Photos Library.

You could then create a new Photos Library and import them into it. Once imported, switch back to your other Library and delete them from that library.

Create additional photo libraries in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2023 2:57 PM in response to Hankdds

You can create multiple Photos libraries, or you could just store them on a couple different media to ensure they are backed up.

In either case, you would need to Export them from your Photos Library.

You could then create a new Photos Library and import them into it. Once imported, switch back to your other Library and delete them from that library.

Create additional photo libraries in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

May 18, 2023 3:29 PM in response to Hankdds

If you have added a lot of metadata to those work files, i.e. titles, descriptions, keywords, etc., and want to keep the metadata your best bet is to use the paid version of PowerPhotos to copy the work Photos, the albums they are in and metadata to another empty library. That way you'll keep the organizational effort that you've put into them in your current library.

Removing photos from library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.