Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Unable to pair new Mac mini with new iPhone via bluetooth

'23 Mac mini M2 Pro not able to pair with iPhone 14 Pro via bluetooth ? Has anyone seen this?

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on May 18, 2023 3:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2023 7:43 PM

CC6502 wrote:

...If the iMac can use the iPhone camera and mic for FaceTime and Zoom why can it not use the iPhone mic for regular phone calls? There does not seem to be any reason why it cannot do that or am I missing something? If it's not a settings issue then maybe it should be built into the software.
CC6502 wrote:

"Why?" is not a question one can answer on Apple's behalf. I think it's very technically possible, but apparently the implementation is not in the software, yet, for some reason.

I would invite you to submit feedback directly to Apple regarding this.

To do so, you can follow this link – Product Feedback - Apple.

As for the issue of your callers not being able to hear you when a call is routed through your mini, please see this: Make and receive phone calls on Mac or iPad - Apple Support.

Linked with that is this: System requirements for Continuity on Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

And, per that document...

"iPhone Cellular Calls

iPhone Cellular Calls requires any iPhone using iOS 8.1 or later and an activated carrier plan. You can then relay calls to and from that iPhone from these devices:

• Any Mac using OS X Yosemite or later. Mac mini and Mac Pro require an external microphone or headset.

As Bruce Hornsby might say, "That's just the way it is."

But I believe this thing will change, eventually.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2023 7:43 PM in response to CC6502

CC6502 wrote:

...If the iMac can use the iPhone camera and mic for FaceTime and Zoom why can it not use the iPhone mic for regular phone calls? There does not seem to be any reason why it cannot do that or am I missing something? If it's not a settings issue then maybe it should be built into the software.
CC6502 wrote:

"Why?" is not a question one can answer on Apple's behalf. I think it's very technically possible, but apparently the implementation is not in the software, yet, for some reason.

I would invite you to submit feedback directly to Apple regarding this.

To do so, you can follow this link – Product Feedback - Apple.

As for the issue of your callers not being able to hear you when a call is routed through your mini, please see this: Make and receive phone calls on Mac or iPad - Apple Support.

Linked with that is this: System requirements for Continuity on Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

And, per that document...

"iPhone Cellular Calls

iPhone Cellular Calls requires any iPhone using iOS 8.1 or later and an activated carrier plan. You can then relay calls to and from that iPhone from these devices:

• Any Mac using OS X Yosemite or later. Mac mini and Mac Pro require an external microphone or headset.

As Bruce Hornsby might say, "That's just the way it is."

But I believe this thing will change, eventually.

Sep 19, 2023 5:46 AM in response to doktor_zaius

Syncing in what way?

As has been mentioned, there is no way to pair them directly over bluetooth. Most features that use bluetooth do not require direct pairing. Direct Bluetooth connections are not required for pretty much anything.

Actual syncing of music, photos and other content does not use Bluetooth, it uses Wi-Fi, but must first be set up while the device is plugged in with a cable.

I have never had the port on an iPhone "go defective" as if by magic.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Just saying you want to "sync", is very vague and can mean a ton of things.

Start here ➜ Sync content between your Mac and iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch over Wi-Fi - Apple Support

May 18, 2023 4:30 PM in response to Phil0124

Thanks Phil0124, that does seem to be the case, although I can pair via Bluetooth with my old iMac 27 running iOS 10.14.6.

I can use iPhone as camera and mic for FaceTime and Zoom on new Mac mini without problems, I cannot use this for "normal" phone calls routed through the Mac mini. The call works except my audio out does not work -- so I can hear the call but they cannot hear me. I thought this may be due to not having Bluetooth link. I find nothing in the support pages that address this issue. Human Apple support was not helpful. Any thoughts? Thanks.

May 18, 2023 6:07 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

Thanks D.I. Johnson, my question is: If the iMac can use the iPhone camera and mic for FaceTime and Zoom why can it not use the iPhone mic for regular phone calls? There does not seem to be any reason why it cannot do that or am I missing something? If it's not a settings issue then maybe it should be built into the software.

Sep 18, 2023 4:32 PM in response to CC6502

I can't even sync my phone. It just says 'loading' forever. Then I tried Bluetooth. This is 'device unsupported'. Now after years in the Apple Eco system, I've been given to expect everything will family nicely together. However I can't sync the phone using bluetooth or the wifi and the charger plug in ports on iPhones go defective quite quickly. Using 13.5 and trying to sync an iPhone 8 on 16.16.1. I'll keep checking back here to see if there are any ways of syncing the device to the Mac mini.

Unable to pair new Mac mini with new iPhone via bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.