M2 Mini and intermittent monitor goes black

I was clamshelling my 2017 Air running Monterey and no issue. Kept my Air, but moved to a M2 Mini running Ventura on same hardware as my desktop setup - and occasionally, while working with it, the screen (Acer EK220Q) will go black. No rhyme or reason to it at all.

Have checked all the connections (power to both Mini and monitor; same settings with monitor as previously; using HDMI to monitor, as I did with Air) and the screensaver settings. Nothing unusual there. 

After a few moments of black - and maybe a few clicks with mouse - the screen will restore.

Noted comments in Community and other Forums with this problem - most often with Macbooks, it seems (and many comment issue occurred after a OS upgrade) and despite contact with Apple Support directly, so I gotta wonder...

We'll see what yesterday's update (13.4) does, if anything.

Mac mini (M2 Pro, 2023)

Posted on May 19, 2023 5:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2023 1:54 PM

So after updating to Sonoma 14.1.1, I started having my monitor screen go black for a few seconds. I have a MacMini with the Apple M2 Chip. The strangest thing is, it would be fine and once I stood up from my seat it would go black. Since I don't have any camera installed I knew it wasn't some kind of hack.

I was using a HDMI to HDMI cable. I have now purchased a USB-C to HDMI cable and the problem seems resolved. I did this based on the post from Jame Brickley, thank you James.

It will be interesting to see if Apple ever mentions this was an issue.

Similar questions

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2023 1:54 PM in response to MleB1

So after updating to Sonoma 14.1.1, I started having my monitor screen go black for a few seconds. I have a MacMini with the Apple M2 Chip. The strangest thing is, it would be fine and once I stood up from my seat it would go black. Since I don't have any camera installed I knew it wasn't some kind of hack.

I was using a HDMI to HDMI cable. I have now purchased a USB-C to HDMI cable and the problem seems resolved. I did this based on the post from Jame Brickley, thank you James.

It will be interesting to see if Apple ever mentions this was an issue.

May 27, 2023 5:25 AM in response to James Brickley

Thanks for the reply, but why?

Is this a 'try this, it might work', or a 'known problem that is fixed by...'?

And if the latter, why is this the case? Seems counter to Apple having included a HDMI output in the first place.

(Though goodness knows Apple have offered features in the past that don't work as intended)

And if the former, seems an unfortunate expense for a cable that may not do anything.

Mar 23, 2024 2:22 PM in response to MleB1

Same issue, sudden black screen for about 4 seconds while browsing on an M2 Pro Mac Mini running latest Sonoma. Question: If one uses a USB-C to HDMI 2.1 cable, doesn't that mean you give up one of the two USB-C ports? Or can you use it with a cheap splitter/dongle?

Also, this seems like a software issue, since it didn't happen until Sonoma, and why would Apple put an HDMI port if it's unreliable?

Jun 16, 2023 10:03 AM in response to MleB1

Well, its been 3 weeks, and it seems USB-C > HDMI resolved the issue (knock on wood) - no intermittent blackouts.

While I'm glad it seems to have been resolved, there's really no reason that the original configuration shouldn't have worked. Given Apple's long-standing connection (excuse the pun) with USB plugs, you would have thought they would have figured it out by now.

Thanks, James Brickley.

Apr 12, 2024 5:03 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I'm not sure yet, but I think your suggestion has solved my problem. After updating to Sonoma 14.4.1 today, my screen would go black every 2-3 minutes for about 4 seconds, then come back on its own without touching keyboard or mouse. I have a M1 Mac Mini with a Dell U3219Q monitor. I even switched from USB-C to HDMI cables and that did nothing. So I checked the Hot Corners option, and somehow the Sonoma update changed my lower-right corner option to "Quick Note", which I've never had turned on before. It's now been in constant use for 3 hours and the screen hasn't gone black yet. I'll post an update if the problem returns, but thanks for the tip!

Apr 14, 2024 5:26 AM in response to lanehartle

Sonoma 14.4.1 appears to have reset hot corners to its default where the bottom-right corner is Quick Note. That has been the default since Quick Note was introduced in Monterey. You must have changed the default way back then. Sonoma 14.4.1 also reset my audio device selections back to the default which is not what I normally have configured.

Curious what other settings were reset to factory overriding the users settings...

M2 Mini and intermittent monitor goes black

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.