Synching photos on all devices via iCloud

Photos from my 3 devices (iPad, iPhone and MacBook) are all back up to iCloud, I believe..... settings as follows: >appleID>iCloud>Apps using iCloud: Photos.

I want all devices to synch with iCloud so that all photos taken on any device are automatically displayed in the Photos app on the other devices.

On both iPad and iPhone, when I select: >Settings>Photos>iCloud Devices - ON, i get the following message:

'Photos synched from Finder will be removed. Synching photos via Finder is not supported when iCloud Photos is turned on. 8124 photos will be removed''.

If I have recent backup of photos to iCloud on each device (as at today), will all photos currently on each device be in the cloud already, and does it just remove the photos off the memory of both the iPad/iPhone devices?

I really do not want to lose any photos, but need them too to synch between all 3 devices in future (all logged in to iCloud with the same apple ID.

Any help would be great - thanks

Sue

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on May 19, 2023 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2023 10:36 AM

That message indicates that you are currently syncing photos to your devices using a computer. When you turn on icloud sync, you can no longer sync via computer so any items added that way are removed. Provided that you have your copies of the photos, there is no concern.

Be sure to back up all of your images (as is good practice) and then turn on icloud sync.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2023 10:36 AM in response to moosetypes

That message indicates that you are currently syncing photos to your devices using a computer. When you turn on icloud sync, you can no longer sync via computer so any items added that way are removed. Provided that you have your copies of the photos, there is no concern.

Be sure to back up all of your images (as is good practice) and then turn on icloud sync.

Synching photos on all devices via iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.