Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How to change video format on iPad

I have an iPad Air with iPadOS 16.5. I wish to take videos in MP4 format. Going to settings/camera/formats and setting Camera Capture to “most compatible” should set MP4. However, nothing I do will change the format from the default MOV. Can anyone help?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Air, iPadOS 16

Posted on May 19, 2023 12:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2023 3:11 PM

The MOV files that modern Apple devices create, are MP4 compatible. You can safely rename .mov to .mp4 once transferred.

MOV and MP4 can have .H264 video. MOV and MP4 can have .H265 video. It depends on the playback software and hardware if .H265 is compatible. iPad will store its own recordings in MOV format either way (.H.264/.H265).

• Settings﹥Camera﹥Formats﹥Most Compatible ✓ will configure for JPEG/H.264 AVC instead of HEIF/.H265 HEVC (not about .mov vs. .mp4).
  • Settings﹥Photos﹥Transfer to Mac or PC﹥Automatic ✓ will transfer in a format that the computer (e.g. iTunes app) can play [more compatible when needed, based on destination OS version], i.e. converting on the fly when needed. Applies to both photos and videos.
  • Settings﹥Photos﹥Transfer to Mac or PC﹥Keep Originals ✓ will transfer in the recorded format, even if the computer (e.g. iTunes app) likely can’t play that. Applies to both photos and videos.

Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2023 3:11 PM in response to Alec-46

The MOV files that modern Apple devices create, are MP4 compatible. You can safely rename .mov to .mp4 once transferred.

MOV and MP4 can have .H264 video. MOV and MP4 can have .H265 video. It depends on the playback software and hardware if .H265 is compatible. iPad will store its own recordings in MOV format either way (.H.264/.H265).

• Settings﹥Camera﹥Formats﹥Most Compatible ✓ will configure for JPEG/H.264 AVC instead of HEIF/.H265 HEVC (not about .mov vs. .mp4).
  • Settings﹥Photos﹥Transfer to Mac or PC﹥Automatic ✓ will transfer in a format that the computer (e.g. iTunes app) can play [more compatible when needed, based on destination OS version], i.e. converting on the fly when needed. Applies to both photos and videos.
  • Settings﹥Photos﹥Transfer to Mac or PC﹥Keep Originals ✓ will transfer in the recorded format, even if the computer (e.g. iTunes app) likely can’t play that. Applies to both photos and videos.

Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

How to change video format on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.