can I convert an existing back up drive to a time machine drive?

I have a current external hard drive with data on it. can I convert this into a Time Machine backup without disturbing any data on the drive?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.4

Posted on May 19, 2023 2:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2023 3:43 PM

The simple answer is no. A very complicated answer.....involving setting up separate partitions on the drive.....would be maybe, with no guarantee that the current data on the drive would be preserved.

If you decide to try this route, you will need to copy all of the existing data on the drive over to another drive for safekeeping. Then erase the drive and set up 2 separate partitions. After that is done, copy the data back to one of the partitions on the drive and use Time Machine for the other partition on the drive.

It's a lot of work, and frankly intimidating if you have not done something like this before.

Things would be tons easier.....and much safer for your data...... if you could simply add a separate drive and use that just for Time Machine.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2023 3:43 PM in response to Atpatrick99

The simple answer is no. A very complicated answer.....involving setting up separate partitions on the drive.....would be maybe, with no guarantee that the current data on the drive would be preserved.

If you decide to try this route, you will need to copy all of the existing data on the drive over to another drive for safekeeping. Then erase the drive and set up 2 separate partitions. After that is done, copy the data back to one of the partitions on the drive and use Time Machine for the other partition on the drive.

It's a lot of work, and frankly intimidating if you have not done something like this before.

Things would be tons easier.....and much safer for your data...... if you could simply add a separate drive and use that just for Time Machine.

can I convert an existing back up drive to a time machine drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.